NFC Payments ISIS or Google Wallet

Search This thread

pharpe

Mar 30, 2011
Dallas
Lenovo P11
I have Google Wallet all setup on my N5 with my American Express card. It works fine for all GW transactions except Tap and Pay (NFC). I get a message that the transaction has been declined by card issuer. When I swipe the card at the same terminal it goes through no problem.

I contacted American Express to find out why the charges are declined. Amex initially said they see no declined transactions on their end. After further investigation with Amex tech support I was told the Amex does not support GW Tap and Pay so the NFC transactions never even gets to them. He suggested I try ISIS Mobile Wallet which they fully support.

When I try to install ISIS from the Play store there are 3 options. ATT, Verizon and T-Mobile. I am on Straight Talk using an AT&T SIM so I tried that one. When try to install it's grayed out with "No eligible devices for app install". I also tried the other two options with the same result.

So I started looking for the ISIS apk to manually load the app and found post about needing a special SIM and carrier restrictions. Also saw that it does not work on rooted phones.

My questions are:
1. Has anyone been able to an Amex card to work with Google Wallet Tap and Pay (NFC)?
2. Is there any way to get ISIS loaded and working onto a stock rooted Nexus 5 using a Straight Talk plan?

markdapimp

Nov 8, 2013
Go buy urself visa gift cards with our amex card then use those gift cards on Google wallet. That's what I do...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Rarscaryfrosty

Jul 30, 2011
But then my individual transactions do not show up on my Amex bill which I need.

You could still match them up to your phone. Google Wallet keeps track of everything just as it'd appear on your credit card statement. Your individual transactions would just appear on your phone, and not your paper statement. I only have my visa card on google wallet since that's my main card, but when I go to costco or buy gas, I use my american express card and swipe it instead of tapping.

pharpe

Mar 30, 2011
Dallas
Lenovo P11
You could still match them up to your phone. Google Wallet keeps track of everything just as it'd appear on your credit card statement. Your individual transactions would just appear on your phone, and not your paper statement. I only have my visa card on google wallet since that's my main card, but when I go to costco or buy gas, I use my american express card and swipe it instead of tapping.

I use my official Amex Corporate statement for expense reimbursement. Otherwise I need to keep individual receipts. I'd rather just swipe the card then go through all that.

Jnewell05

May 22, 2009
Texas
Samsung Galaxy S21
Google Pixel 6
Quick question, u are using Google wallet as a credit transaction right? It will not work as a debit. I did this at first till I actually read Google wallets instructions.

And can u use american express as payment through Google play store? If so then theoretically it'll work with wallet. Sorry u mentioned that u could.
On my visa card it shows Google Merchant not McDonald's. Doubt this will work in ur case for expenses reimbursement without individual receipts.

---------- Post added at 02:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 PM ----------

Isis doesn't work with straight talk.

Last edited:

adrman

Jul 17, 2012
NYC
My Amex used to work with GW tap and pay, but I switched over to another primary card and it's probably been more than 6 months since I've used it. If I have the opportunity, I'll test it. Given their involvement with ISIS though, it wouldn't surprise me if GW was no longer supported.

Zepius

Mar 29, 2011
my amex works fine on google wallet tap and pay. i used it at mcdonalds about a week ago.

XeoNoX

Oct 25, 2010
ive had the same problem since the wallet 2.0 upgrade, it used to work fine with tap n pay until i upgraded to wallet 2.0....i tried upgrading OS to 4.3 still declined and then 4.4 kitkat and still declined, my visa card works fine, i can even make a play store purchase. Strange that i get declined when using tap n pay