Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,679 Members 41,406 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Obtain root access without computer? (apk? TermEmu?)

Tip us?

Carloskeee
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 109
Info 2 [Q] Obtain root access without computer? (apk? TermEmu?)

Is this possible? I recently messed up my laptop and now I can't mess with my new N5! So is there a way I can root without a computer? Like a APK or do it in Terminal Emulator or something? Sheesh, not being able to mess with my phone is driving me nuts

Thanks.

jd1639
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carloskeee View Post
Is this possible? I recently messed up my laptop and now I can't mess with my new N5! So is there a way I can root without a computer? Like a APK or do it in Terminal Emulator or something? Sheesh, not being able to mess with my phone is driving me nuts

Thanks.
No, you need to unlock the bootloader which requires a computer.

Sent from my Nexus 5

pepdavies
Old
Thanks Meter 89
I was wondering about this too. My boot loader is unlocked but I'm completely stock at the moment

Sent from my Nexus 5

gee2012
Old
(Last edited by gee2012; 10th April 2014 at 07:15 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepdavies View Post
I was wondering about this too. My boot loader is unlocked but I'm completely stock at the moment

Sent from my Nexus 5
If the BL is unlocked you don`t need a PC to flash and modify your phone. Just download a custom recovery (.img file) and flash it with Flashify from Play.

-Edit- missread and assumed you had root. Nope can`t flash custom software from third (stock) recovery.
USE Search: /this thread /all threads/Google before posting your question, you`re most likely not the first one having this issue

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 11,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by gee2012 View Post
If the BL is unlocked you don`t need a PC to flash and modify your phone. Just download a custom recovery (.img file) and flash it with Flashify from Play.
Not if he is unrooted. Flashify requires root

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

**Sticky Roll-up: All Guides snd Info Threads linked here**

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

vin4yak
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,179

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by gee2012 View Post
Flashify requires root.. So if he just has the bootloader unlocked, he couldn't do anything with it..

Edit: Ninja'd..lol

pepdavies
Old
Thanks Meter 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU View Post
Not if he is unrooted. Flashify requires root

I was just about to say that. I've used flashify before. I know how to root with a custom recovery, I was just curious if there was a way to do it on the move.

Sent from my Nexus 5

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 11,415
There isn't. Android blocks access to all / (root) by default. The only way to root android from within Android itself is to take advantage of an exploit but as yet there doesn't seem to be one for KK /N5.

All unlocking the bootloader does is allow you to fastboot flash a custom recovery. Rooting from a recovery is easy because android is running therefore not "blocking" / (root). But since the recovery partition is on the / root of the device, you cannot flash a recovery whilst android is running....unless you have root access.

....so fastboot flash a recovery is the only way to get root, which requires obviously a computer.

Hope this helps to understand

Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

**Sticky Roll-up: All Guides snd Info Threads linked here**

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Carloskeee
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 109
Yes I understand. That is everyone.

Reason I asked. When I had my Nexus 4, all I did was download SuperSU. It was a stock device. But supersu asked to update us binary and it rooted the phone from there. I then downloaded a app to unlock the bl and did it all without a computer. Just curious if this could be done on the n5 as well. But I guess not. Thanks everyone.

simms22
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 21,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carloskeee View Post
Yes I understand. That is everyone.

Reason I asked. When I had my Nexus 4, all I did was download SuperSU. It was a stock device. But supersu asked to update us binary and it rooted the phone from there. I then downloaded a app to unlock the bl and did it all without a computer. Just curious if this could be done on the n5 as well. But I guess not. Thanks everyone.
on the n4, and n5, there are apps that can lock and unlock the bootloader. but you need root for that. if you downloaded supersu and it asked to update the binaries, that means that your device had root(old) already, and just had its bootloader relocked..
Google+ Profile
Twitter Simms22
DerKernel For Trinity kernels and more!