[Q] Can I obtain Root on the stock ROM and keep over the air updates?

Search This thread

vin4yak

Mar 10, 2013
Mumbai
vinu.info
Hello,

If your stock with only a custom recovery, you will need to download the OTA zip file and flash it via custom recovery.
However, if you have a custom kernel/mods installed then you will need flash the stock images and then flash the OTA zip via recovery.

yzak58

Oct 2, 2011
Trivandrum
Yes

You'll get the official OTA updates as long as you have the stock ROM(even if it is rooted) and Recovery.

But you may lose the root after the update.

Reactions: Gilligan94

Gilligan94

Apr 20, 2013
Perth
Can I achieve root without re-flashing the device? if not how can I backup my devices current configuration including apps etc?

vin4yak

Mar 10, 2013
Mumbai
vinu.info
Can I achieve root without re-flashing the device? if not how can I backup my devices current configuration including apps etc?

You need to flash the SuperSU zip via recovery to have root access. Flashing supersu doesn't wipe your device's configuration or files. Unlocking the bootloader wipes it!

Use Helium to backup your apps when you're unrooted. Once you have root access, I would recommend using Titanium Backup! :)

Gilligan94

Apr 20, 2013
Perth
You need to flash the SuperSU zip via recovery to have root access. Flashing supersu doesn't wipe your device's configuration or files. Unlocking the bootloader wipes it!

Use Helium to backup your apps when you're unrooted. Once you have root access, I would recommend using Titanium Backup! :)

When would I need to unlock the bootloader? only if I changed to a custome ROM right?

vin4yak

Mar 10, 2013
Mumbai
vinu.info
When would I need to unlock the bootloader? only if I changed to a custome ROM right?

I think you should head over to general section and read the Stickies first before tinkering with your device!

This is the flow...:

1. Unlock the bootloader (Wipes everything off the phone)
2. Flash custom recovery
3. Flash SuperSU.

Hoorah! You're rooted! :D

chainsuk

May 10, 2012
newcastle upon tyne
Rooting

And if your not sure how to root your phone i would really read up on it first or you may brick it,untill your sure you can do it.......If it aint bust dont fix it :D

Top Liked Posts