PhotoMath: A Math Beginner’s Dream App

more

Leaked Galaxy S6 Apps Hit the Forums

more

Fix Untinted Recent Panels on Lollipop

more

Console OS Brings Android to Your PC

more
Post Reply

"Ok Google" stops working until reboot.

OP kgeissler

23rd January 2014, 07:27 PM   |  #1  
kgeissler's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Rowlett, TX
Thanks Meter: 75
 
492 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2006
More
Don't know what is going on, but when I go to Google Now, saying "Ok Google" doesn't work. The microphone icon is sort of greyed out and it doesn't work until I reboot. It will then work for a while, then stop again. See this screenshot... How the microphone icon is greyed out. Any ideas?



Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
23rd January 2014, 07:56 PM   |  #2  
soccerfan6789's Avatar
Senior Member
New York
Thanks Meter: 594
 
541 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2012
Donate to Me
More
Clear the data from Google Search. That should fix it. If not, do a factory reset

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
23rd January 2014, 08:12 PM   |  #3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 279
 
507 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2013
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgeissler

Don't know what is going on, but when I go to Google Now, saying "Ok Google" doesn't work. The microphone icon is sort of greyed out and it doesn't work until I reboot. It will then work for a while, then stop again. See this screenshot... How the microphone icon is greyed out. Any ideas?

That usually happens when the phone thinks it is giving off a sound, such as playing music. Check to make sure you aren't listening to music, even if using headphones. Also check some of the Accessibility settings like text to speech, speak password, etc.
23rd January 2014, 08:28 PM   |  #4  
michael.s.under's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 12
 
104 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2006
Ive read a couple of places this possibly has to do with the mic permissions from the Chrome Beta app. I had a similar issue with the hollow mic not recognizing speech or the "OK Google" command until a reboot. Since Ive rooted and essentially restored, I have not had the issue. I have not installed Chrome Beta either, however.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to michael.s.under For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd January 2014, 08:35 PM   |  #5  
korockinout13's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 532
 
2,030 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.s.under

Ive read a couple of places this possibly has to do with the mic permissions from the Chrome Beta app. I had a similar issue with the hollow mic not recognizing speech or the "OK Google" command until a reboot. Since Ive rooted and essentially restored, I have not had the issue. I have not installed Chrome Beta either, however.

I have just confirmed it to be Chrome Beta. Tested on n4, n5, and n7. Regular Chrome works fine.

I'm so glad others are having this same issue. It really is a pain.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
23rd January 2014, 08:45 PM   |  #6  
kgeissler's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Rowlett, TX
Thanks Meter: 75
 
492 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2006
More
I just uninstalled chrome beta and restarted. Let's see if that was it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
23rd January 2014, 09:42 PM   |  #7  
korockinout13's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 532
 
2,030 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgeissler

I just uninstalled chrome beta and restarted. Let's see if that was it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

You don't even have to uninstall it. Just don't open it and things will work fine. Open it, and hotword detection stops working immediately.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes