Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,814,319 Members 51,306 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

"Ok Google" stops working until reboot.

Tip us?

kgeissler
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 61
Default "Ok Google" stops working until reboot.

Don't know what is going on, but when I go to Google Now, saying "Ok Google" doesn't work. The microphone icon is sort of greyed out and it doesn't work until I reboot. It will then work for a while, then stop again. See this screenshot... How the microphone icon is greyed out. Any ideas?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

soccerfan6789
Old
Thanks Meter 594

DONATE TO ME
Clear the data from Google Search. That should fix it. If not, do a factory reset

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Johmama
Old
Thanks Meter 275

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgeissler View Post
Don't know what is going on, but when I go to Google Now, saying "Ok Google" doesn't work. The microphone icon is sort of greyed out and it doesn't work until I reboot. It will then work for a while, then stop again. See this screenshot... How the microphone icon is greyed out. Any ideas?
That usually happens when the phone thinks it is giving off a sound, such as playing music. Check to make sure you aren't listening to music, even if using headphones. Also check some of the Accessibility settings like text to speech, speak password, etc.

michael.s.under
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Ive read a couple of places this possibly has to do with the mic permissions from the Chrome Beta app. I had a similar issue with the hollow mic not recognizing speech or the "OK Google" command until a reboot. Since Ive rooted and essentially restored, I have not had the issue. I have not installed Chrome Beta either, however.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to michael.s.under For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

korockinout13
Old
Thanks Meter 532

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.s.under View Post
Ive read a couple of places this possibly has to do with the mic permissions from the Chrome Beta app. I had a similar issue with the hollow mic not recognizing speech or the "OK Google" command until a reboot. Since Ive rooted and essentially restored, I have not had the issue. I have not installed Chrome Beta either, however.
I have just confirmed it to be Chrome Beta. Tested on n4, n5, and n7. Regular Chrome works fine.

I'm so glad others are having this same issue. It really is a pain.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Nexus 5 16GB on T-Mobile: CM11 + TWRP || Nexus 7 2012 32GB: Stock 4.4 + Xposed + franco + TWRP
Nexus 4 (cracked & sold) | AT&T Samsung Galaxy SII i777 (sold) | AT&T Samsung Galaxy S Captivate i897 (sold)

Get extra space on Copy or Dropbox with a new account!

kgeissler
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 61
I just uninstalled chrome beta and restarted. Let's see if that was it.

korockinout13
Old
Thanks Meter 532

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgeissler View Post
I just uninstalled chrome beta and restarted. Let's see if that was it.

You don't even have to uninstall it. Just don't open it and things will work fine. Open it, and hotword detection stops working immediately.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Nexus 5 16GB on T-Mobile: CM11 + TWRP || Nexus 7 2012 32GB: Stock 4.4 + Xposed + franco + TWRP
Nexus 4 (cracked & sold) | AT&T Samsung Galaxy SII i777 (sold) | AT&T Samsung Galaxy S Captivate i897 (sold)

Get extra space on Copy or Dropbox with a new account!