Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] [Opinion] Why do all the roms look the same?

OP Xeon3D

23rd July 2014, 06:07 PM   |  #21  
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 13,382

24,456 posts
More
A matrix of features vs Roms is a comparison.

a consideration or estimate of the similarities or dissimilarities between two things or people.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
23rd July 2014, 06:24 PM   |  #22  
Senior Moderator - Resident Troll Killer
Flag Somewhere in a Deep Cave on the Troll Kings Throne
Thanks Meter: 6,213

7,432 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU

I guess it's been missed by the moderators then as any comparison is against the rules.

Well, it's not comparisons "per say", but more like "What's the best ROM/Kernel/Theme etc" type posts. These things are subjective by nature, and what one person likes, another may not. Or what works great on one device, may not work so well on another (sometimes devices differ based on build revisions).
23rd July 2014, 06:27 PM   |  #23  

24,456 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscow Desire

Well, it's not comparisons "per say", but more like "What's the best ROM/Kernel/Theme etc" type posts. These things are subjective by nature, and what one person likes, another may not. Or what works great on one device, may not work so well on another (sometimes devices differ based on build revisions).

Its still a comparison and them's the rules.

23rd July 2014, 06:40 PM   |  #24  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 2,446

4,235 posts
More
@Moscow Desire

rootSU and I are talking about the OP's part of the post which stated that he will open a thread where he will make comparisons of all sorts. rootSU was simply stating that it's against the rules to do so. You can check the part of the post over here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...48&postcount=6

A Stickie in the general section which was created by a Forum mod (soupmagnet) states that comparison between rom/kernel/phone or anything of that sort isn't allowed. http://forum.xda-developers.com/goog...-read-t2500184 (4th Point)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vin4yak For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd July 2014, 07:28 PM   |  #25  

7,432 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeon3D

Note that by saying this I mean no disrespect to the cookers or kitchen teams. Their work is highly appreciated.

Is it just me? Am I missing something?

Well, back in the old days, things were hopping. New Mods, new features, look cool things...

But that was a few years ago.

Little by little, Google modified the AOSP code, adding features (more than likely from XDA). But Google is not concerned with "look good" things. They leave it up to manufacturers with skins and such. Apps progress, hardware gets better, new features are added (and mods for shortcomings that nobody thought of).

But eventually, you get to a point where you just cant change the way things look. Just add on to it. Honestly, the stock look is ok with most, as mostly users are within apps, not the interface.

Any changes to the UI or Frameworks, required decompiling, changing xml and smali code. Most folks have never ventured into this aspect. Not to mention the diversity in APKTool versions running from a CMD window.

Then comes "Exposed" modules. Now all the look cool features, mods, tweaks, etc, can be done without changing any of the apks (for the most part) to get the desired look, and add features that the manufacturers just didn't put in.

Things have become so much easier to cook ROMs. Now, we need not mess with APKTool, and can use a windows interface to decompile, alter, and recompile in a manner of a minute. Compare, copy and paste all from within the same app (explains why lots of ROMs pretty much have the exact same features) It's too easy to do now days for folks who really don't know how to cook.

So do all ROMs look the same? Pretty much, until you add the features via exposed modules. After all, ROMs are all derived from AOSP from Google.
The Following User Says Thank You to Moscow Desire For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd July 2014, 08:42 PM   |  #26  

7,432 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vin4yak

@Moscow Desire

rootSU and I are talking about the OP's part of the post which stated that he will open a thread where he will make comparisons of all sorts. rootSU was simply stating that it's against the rules to do so. You can check the part of the post over here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...48&postcount=6

A Stickie in the general section which was created by a Forum mod (soupmagnet) states that comparison between rom/kernel/phone or anything of that sort isn't allowed. http://forum.xda-developers.com/goog...-read-t2500184 (4th Point)

Well, here is where things "might" get a little confusing.

"Best ROM/Kernel" etc threads are of course not allow just as the stickie stated. Why? Because of the tendency of causing arguments between folks loyal to a particular ROM or Dev. This is based on a lot of things being subjective.

Having a spreadsheet of features available to a ROM is pretty much no argument, as it's common knowledge and typically stated in the OP of each ROM thread. It's fact, and "not" subjective to how it runs on a device.

Having fields like "seems quicker, less crashes, smoother, prettier, etc" are subjective comments and of course would not be allowed. Benchmarks.... cough cough.... are, well, you know.

See where I'm going with this?

Personally, I think it's way too time consuming to flash every ROM and every OS version. The features are already listed. If somebody thinks it's necessary to itemize each specific feature (in ROM Updates, Halo, Pie, etc) well, I wish them luck, and will check back next year when it's finished.

But I certainly wouldn't have an issue with it. Besides, it would have to be continuously updated every time a cook makes a new release, or the thread would be closed eventually.
23rd July 2014, 08:45 PM   |  #27  

24,456 posts
More
I only mention it because I've seen links to these spreadsheets removed from posts. Don't put the effort in if you can't share it. Best for the OP to ask one of our FSMs

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread