Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
View Poll Results: Should I root the Nexus 5?
Yes 3 50.00%
No 3 50.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Opinion needed.

OP frictionbuster

6th April 2014, 03:05 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 2

62 posts
More
Hello, everyone.
I currently own a Nexus 5 which is serviced and handled by LG in India.
Being a flash addict, I really wanted to know, that does rooting the almighty N5 give any improvement over stock?
As a previous galaxy s3 user, I had no option but to root the laggy device. But Nexus is god-like.
So my real question is, does rooting, changing ROMs give a significant improvement over the stock-unrooted ROM?
And are the improvements so substantial so as to lose my warranty?

P.S By improvement, I mean battery and/or performance.

Thanks!
6th April 2014, 03:20 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 2

18 posts
I'm running stock with Franco kernel and there is a noticeable improvement in battery life. It's worth it to me, plus it's easy to unroot and go back to stock. But really, it's up to you.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
6th April 2014, 03:25 PM   |  #3  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 2,453

4,239 posts
More
Hello my fellow Mumbaikar lol

No one can tell you whether you should root it or not.. It all comes down to personal choices. That being said, by rooting a device and using a custom rom the performance/battery will surely increase but most people don't root their devices to enjoy the heavy customization which comes along with the root/custom rom.

Yes, the device is GOD as it is but if you root it, I'm sure it will be even more powerful (don't know what's above GOD like) LOL.

Warranty doesn't get void if you flash a custom rom or root the device. Google replaces rooted devices as well. Here's a thread about the same : http://forum.xda-developers.com/goog...nexus-t2656079

However, if you're afraid of sending it as it is, you can always return to fully stock rom, remove the tamper flag and then lock the bootloader which will make the device look fresh out of the box (software wise)..

So read some stickies in the General section.. Check out some custom rom threads and see for yourself whether it's worth it!
6th April 2014, 05:27 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
BROOKLYN!
Thanks Meter: 22,846

27,455 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frictionbuster

Hello, everyone.
I currently own a Nexus 5 which is serviced and handled by LG in India.
Being a flash addict, I really wanted to know, that does rooting the almighty N5 give any improvement over stock?
As a previous galaxy s3 user, I had no option but to root the laggy device. But Nexus is god-like.
So my real question is, does rooting, changing ROMs give a significant improvement over the stock-unrooted ROM?
And are the improvements so substantial so as to lose my warranty?

P.S By improvement, I mean battery and/or performance.

Thanks!

rooting has absolutely nothing to do with battery or performance. all rooting does is give you access to mess with root files, it gives you root permission. battery and performance comes with messing with those root files.
The Following User Says Thank You to simms22 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
rooting opinion
Previous Thread Next Thread