Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,801 Members 40,133 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] OTA update error, rooted using CF-Autoroot

Tip us?
 
oshera
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 12
Join Date: Feb 2014
Question [Q] OTA update error, rooted using CF-Autoroot

Hi, have seen some posts for this issue but none really help me understand what went wrong (tried this update 3 times with same result)
I have nexus 5 with android 4.4.2, rooted with CF-Auto root.
Recently i received OTA update notification to 4.4.3, but when i'm trying to install it i get error without any info.
Before trying to update i completely uninstall xposed and all of its modules.
To my understanding using CF-Autoroot should not interfere with OTA updates.
Any ideas?
 
Zepius
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1,080
Posts: 2,849
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by oshera View Post
Hi, have seen some posts for this issue but none really help me understand what went wrong (tried this update 3 times with same result)
I have nexus 5 with android 4.4.2, rooted with CF-Auto root.
Recently i received OTA update notification to 4.4.3, but when i'm trying to install it i get error without any info.
Before trying to update i completely uninstall xposed and all of its modules.
To my understanding using CF-Autoroot should not interfere with OTA updates.
Any ideas?
did you do any other system modifications? change kernels?
Go back to stock on your nexus 5 using this guide: here

Tired of paying too much money for your phone plan? go prepaid!

Save money on refills for your prepaid plans: Use Callingmart

-Zep
 
Lokke9191
Old
#3  
Lokke9191's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 81
Posts: 194
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Glenview, IL
I'd just dirty flash 4.4.3 and call it a day.
 
oshera
Old
#4  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 12
Join Date: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepius View Post
did you do any other system modifications? change kernels?
Nop, unless apps like titanium backup or file manager (only other apps that require root) change something. :/
 
oshera
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 12
Join Date: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokke9191 View Post
I'd just dirty flash 4.4.3 and call it a day.
Im no android expert(far from it), and prefer to stick to the most simple methods as long as i can run xposed framework.
this is why OTA without flashing or interfering with OS is best for me.
Keep this as last resort if no progress will happen regarding OTA updates.
Thanks!
 
rootSU
Old
#6  
rootSU's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 11,449
Posts: 22,484
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by oshera View Post
Im no android expert(far from it), and prefer to stick to the most simple methods as long as i can run xposed framework.
this is why OTA without flashing or interfering with OS is best for me.
Keep this as last resort if no progress will happen regarding OTA updates.
Thanks!
OTA is more complex if you're rooted.. There's more flashing involved if you have / want a custom recovery (which all rooted users should aim to have)

Just download the full rooted stock ROM in android development and flash it without wipe from recovery.

It's actually fewer steps anyway.

OTA = revert system changes, boot recovery, flash, re-flash recovery, re-root
Rooted stock = boot recovery, flash

No brainer really. Flashing an OTA if rooted is a fool's errand


Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

**Sticky Roll-up: All Guides snd Info Threads linked here**



Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.
 
simms22
Old
#7  
simms22's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 21,472
Posts: 25,856
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: BROOKLYN!
Quote:
Originally Posted by oshera View Post
Im no android expert(far from it), and prefer to stick to the most simple methods as long as i can run xposed framework.
this is why OTA without flashing or interfering with OS is best for me.
Keep this as last resort if no progress will happen regarding OTA updates.
Thanks!
lmao, its FAR from the most simple method. most simple method would be to dirty flash a 443 stock/rooted rom and call it a day, without over complicating anything.
Google+ Profile
Twitter Simms22
DerKernel For Trinity kernels and more!
 
marleyfan61
Old
#8  
marleyfan61's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 181
Posts: 749
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by oshera View Post
Hi, have seen some posts for this issue but none really help me understand what went wrong (tried this update 3 times with same result)
I have nexus 5 with android 4.4.2, rooted with CF-Auto root.
Recently i received OTA update notification to 4.4.3, but when i'm trying to install it i get error without any info.
Before trying to update i completely uninstall xposed and all of its modules.
To my understanding using CF-Autoroot should not interfere with OTA updates.
Any ideas?

Did you uninstall Xposed from within the app? If you simply uninstalled it the same way you install regular aps (by dragging to uninstall from the app drawer) then it doesn't completely uninstall.
Phone: Nexus 5
ROM: Omni
Recovery: TWRP
Kernel: Stock
Headpones: Beyerdynamic Tesla DT-1350, Sennheiser CX 880i
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marleyfan61 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
oshera
Old
#9  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 12
Join Date: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by marleyfan61 View Post
Did you uninstall Xposed from within the app? If you simply uninstalled it the same way you install regular aps (by dragging to uninstall from the app drawer) then it doesn't completely uninstall.
Thank you!
That fixed my problem, after uninstall from within the app i could use OTA updates without flahing anything!
And thanks for everyone else for advises
 
jj14
Old
#10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 148
Posts: 614
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by oshera View Post
Thank you!
That fixed my problem, after uninstall from within the app i could use OTA updates without flahing anything!
And thanks for everyone else for advises
Glad it worked for you. For future reference, do read this sticky - http://forum.xda-developers.com/goog...-desk-t2523217
(along with the other stickies in that forum)

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Android M Mentions Spotted in Android Code Review

While we are still waiting for Android L to be officially released, the first mentions of … more

Create a Simple Custom Launcher from Scratch

When you are starting your journey intoany sort of development, it’s never easy at the … more

MediaTek Continues Steps Towards Being Developer-Friendly

Not too long ago MediaTek was very closed off towards the mobile developer … more