5,604,367 Members 48,689 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] OTG and Charging

Tip us?

dirkzelf
Old
(Last edited by dirkzelf; 7th March 2014 at 10:54 AM.) Reason: typo
Thanks Meter 1
I have made a little (amatueristic) video to watch. It seems it is critical to connect everything to the hub, and then at the latest plug in the OTG cable, otherwise it won't charge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hrYvMLPH8g

nitramus
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I am using a standard y cable with micro usb with male and female usb so I can charge and use my usb stick at the same time. The only problem is that it does not work on stock rom. Only tried cyanogenmod yet and it works. Does not say charging on lock screen but csn see the battery icon charging. And it is FAST. Also using multirom manager so I can dual boot multiple roms and not lose anything.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

dirkzelf
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitramus View Post
I am using a standard y cable with micro usb with male and female usb so I can charge and use my usb stick at the same time. The only problem is that it does not work on stock rom. Only tried cyanogenmod yet and it works. Does not say charging on lock screen but csn see the battery icon charging. And it is FAST. Also using multirom manager so I can dual boot multiple roms and not lose anything.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
I have stock rom rooted, works fine...... like described in my previous message.

mebbez
Old
(Last edited by mebbez; 16th March 2014 at 11:47 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
I have had success with the OTG Y cable accessing flash storage and charging simultaneously.

At first I didn't think it was working, as the charging animation does not appear. I have been using a blackberry charger 5V 700ma, I have found that if I have the charger already connected to the Y cable *before* plugging into the phone the charging light appears, but still no animation, however battery stats states charging AC. If I connect charger after the OTG Y cable has already been attached to the phone I do not get a charging light.

I put two rather large files on download (to the flash storage) whilst testing this out, as I knew this would usually drain my battery about 20% screen off, went from 66% battery to 76% in 20 minutes.

I am using Linaro Kernel.

kelvinvalencio
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Try using OTG helper on playstore

Sent from my N986 using xda premium
YOU CAN CLICK THANKS IF IT HELPED , JUST CLICK A BUTTON ON THE LEFT BUTTOM, BRO!!

dirkzelf
Old
Thanks Meter 1
When using the setup in the car with hub, USB disk, and charger, it does say that it is charging, but when running a dashcam app or other continuous app that uses GPS and continuous write/delete on the USB drive, the battery actually stille does drain. Maybe it does actually charge, butit is not enough apparently........

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app