Android TV Launcher Pushed to Google Play

Over the past decade, the tech universe has seen two drastic and widely contrasting changes with … more

Cyngn, OnePlus, Micromax – The Legal Battle

Recently, a battle has been waging in India over the rights to distribute the commercial … more

Lean Mean Battery Power Saving App Review

We talk a lot about battery topics here at XDA TV. We talk about everything from Power Banks to USB … more

Android 5.1 Possibly Coming February 2015

Google released Android 5.0 just over a month ago, and since then Lollipop has been trying to … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Overheating issues since going Franco

OP TurboFool

7th March 2014, 01:27 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Culver City
Thanks Meter: 85

441 posts
More
So I've had a lot of issues with my nexus 5 randomly rebooting and decided it was time to do a complete factory reset on it. Since I had been running stock, unrooted, locked bootloader since launch, I also decided it was time to unlock, root, and switch to Franco to see if it would improve things.

Now before, when I was charging my phone in my car, on my dashboard mount, while running Waze and driving in sunlight without AC (mine's dead), my phone would sometimes overheat. I'd know because it was hot to the touch, my battery widget would show overheat status, and it would stop charging. It would still FUNCTION, though.

Since my wipe/root/Franco change, though, it no longer reacts the same way. Now it simply gets so hot that it begins to freeze or fail to respond to normal functions and then eventually reboots itself, one time putting itself into a boot loop from the heat until I stepped in, forced it to the bootloader and powered it off until it cooled down.

Any idea why this change to Franco (I'm assuming it's the difference and not merely rooting, since that shouldn't change anything) would cause this, and what sort of settings I should adjust? I changed CPU temp threshold from 60 down to 52 in FKU, but that's done either nothing, or simply avoided the boot loop issue I had before. Do I need to lower that further? It's not even clear what that setting does. Anything else I can do?

Strongly considering going back to stock kernel to test further, but I know it's a slight pain to remove Franco due to all the roots, plus I wanted its improvements.
7th March 2014, 02:24 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
BROOKLYN!
Thanks Meter: 22,788

27,346 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFool

So I've had a lot of issues with my nexus 5 randomly rebooting and decided it was time to do a complete factory reset on it. Since I had been running stock, unrooted, locked bootloader since launch, I also decided it was time to unlock, root, and switch to Franco to see if it would improve things.

Now before, when I was charging my phone in my car, on my dashboard mount, while running Waze and driving in sunlight without AC (mine's dead), my phone would sometimes overheat. I'd know because it was hot to the touch, my battery widget would show overheat status, and it would stop charging. It would still FUNCTION, though.

Since my wipe/root/Franco change, though, it no longer reacts the same way. Now it simply gets so hot that it begins to freeze or fail to respond to normal functions and then eventually reboots itself, one time putting itself into a boot loop from the heat until I stepped in, forced it to the bootloader and powered it off until it cooled down.

Any idea why this change to Franco (I'm assuming it's the difference and not merely rooting, since that shouldn't change anything) would cause this, and what sort of settings I should adjust? I changed CPU temp threshold from 60 down to 52 in FKU, but that's done either nothing, or simply avoided the boot loop issue I had before. Do I need to lower that further? It's not even clear what that setting does. Anything else I can do?

Strongly considering going back to stock kernel to test further, but I know it's a slight pain to remove Franco due to all the roots, plus I wanted its improvements.

your phone overheating isnt cpu heating related, so changing that setting in fku will do nothing for you. its your battery thats overheating, not your cpu. its your own bahavior thats the issue actually. the battery and cpu have differing throttle/shutdown/overheating temps. the problem is that you are charging while plugged in, in the sun/heat, while using it. the battery gets warm just from a normal charging, gets hot while using and charging, but you also have it in the heat, lol.
7th March 2014, 02:33 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Culver City

441 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by simms22

your phone overheating isnt cpu heating related, so changing that setting in fku will do nothing for you. its your battery thats overheating, not your cpu. its your own bahavior thats the issue actually. the battery and cpu have differing throttle/shutdown/overheating temps. the problem is that you are charging while plugged in, in the sun/heat, while using it. the battery gets warm just from a normal charging, gets hot while using and charging, but you also have it in the heat, lol.

Right... I'm not contesting that, and I basically stated most of that already. But my thread is about how this behavior has CHANGED since going Franco, and I'm looking for how to fix it. As I said, BEFORE Franco, in the same situation, my phone would get hot, stop charging, and continue functioning while it stopped charging. Now, instead of functioning and not charging, it appears to continue to get hotter and hotter until it freezes, crashes, and reboots. It didn't do that when I was stock, unrooted, locked. Now that I'm Franco, rooted, unlocked, it can't withstand this situation the way it did before. So I'm looking to improve upon that.

I'm perfectly fine with the old behavior because, as you note, this is my own "fault" by putting it in this situation (not that I have much of a choice), so I recognize I'm pushing the phone beyond what it should do. But the phone was smart enough to account for the problem and do what it needed to to stay functional, so I wouldn't lose my GPS or phone call in the middle just because I wasn't actively watching the battery meter every second, WHILE DRIVING, to see if it was overheating. It would notice on its own, stop charging, and get around the problem without crashing. I just want that behavior back, and I'm hoping a Franco setting can help me restore that since the issue seems to tie to my switch to Franco.
7th March 2014, 03:21 AM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Minnetonka, MN
Thanks Meter: 3,909

11,202 posts
Then put the stock kernel back on. Get the factory image and extract the boot.img and flash it with fastboot
7th March 2014, 03:29 AM   |  #5  
Recognized Contributor
BROOKLYN!
Thanks Meter: 22,788

27,346 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFool

Right... I'm not contesting that, and I basically stated most of that already. But my thread is about how this behavior has CHANGED since going Franco, and I'm looking for how to fix it. As I said, BEFORE Franco, in the same situation, my phone would get hot, stop charging, and continue functioning while it stopped charging. Now, instead of functioning and not charging, it appears to continue to get hotter and hotter until it freezes, crashes, and reboots. It didn't do that when I was stock, unrooted, locked. Now that I'm Franco, rooted, unlocked, it can't withstand this situation the way it did before. So I'm looking to improve upon that.

I'm perfectly fine with the old behavior because, as you note, this is my own "fault" by putting it in this situation (not that I have much of a choice), so I recognize I'm pushing the phone beyond what it should do. But the phone was smart enough to account for the problem and do what it needed to to stay functional, so I wouldn't lose my GPS or phone call in the middle just because I wasn't actively watching the battery meter every second, WHILE DRIVING, to see if it was overheating. It would notice on its own, stop charging, and get around the problem without crashing. I just want that behavior back, and I'm hoping a Franco setting can help me restore that since the issue seems to tie to my switch to Franco.

the dynamics of the two kernels are completely different. they are so different that one or more of many many changes could be possible culprit(s).
7th March 2014, 04:27 AM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Culver City

441 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1639

Then put the stock kernel back on. Get the factory image and extract the boot.img and flash it with fastboot

...if I'm here asking for assistance on how to adjust Franco to resolve this problem, isn't it obvious I'm trying to avoid doing that? I'm here looking to see how to fix Franco so I can still use it. I know I can go back to stock, but that's not a fix, it's throwing my hands up in defeat. I'll certainly do that if nobody can offer me good advice, but I'd rather not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms22

the dynamics of the two kernels are completely different. they are so different that one or more of many many changes could be possible culprit(s).

I understand, of course. I just hoped someone here had a similar experience that might help us track this down. I imagine people with more technical knowledge have put this kernel through it paces and might have an idea. PR better yet, know of a setting in FKU I can adjust to counter this.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
franco, kernel, overheating, temperature
Previous Thread Next Thread