FORUMS

Galaxy S6 Weekly Shooting Challenge

Over in our forums this weekend, XDA Forum member DevonSloan has started a thread for talented … more

Which Features from Apple Watch Do You Think Android Wear Will Copy?

The Apple Watch and Android Wear are both growing platforms. Now … more

XDA Picks: Best Apps of the Week (May 15 – 22)

Apps are at the front and center of any smartphone experience, and with over a … more

Android 5.1 for the Nvidia Shield Tablet is Out!

Nvidia is quite good at delivering updates in a timely fashion. The producer of famous … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

Prompt Nexus 5 doesn't boot to recovery

20th June 2014, 10:37 AM |#1  
maschenazi's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Telford
Thanks Meter: 42
 
More
Just tried to install the latest KK 4.4.4 and noticed that my phone doesn't boot to recovery anymore. Otherwise, the phone works ok and I can boot to fastboot, but when I try to get to recovery it doesn't load. It does nothing just hangs on a black screen. I tried using the adb reboot recovery command and the power+volume keys.
Last time I used the recovery was when I installed the 4.4.3 update and everything looked fine.
From fastboot mode I tried to re-flash just the recovery with fastboot flash recovery recovery.img but as I am completely stock and the phone is locked it failed with error FAILED (remote: not supported in locked device).
Do I really have to unlock my phone to fix this ? Should I send it to Google under warranty ?
 
 
20th June 2014, 10:48 AM |#2  
Elluel's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag えうれる
Thanks Meter: 3,197
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by maschenazi

Just tried to install the latest KK 4.4.4 and noticed that my phone doesn't boot to recovery anymore. Otherwise, the phone works ok and I can boot to fastboot, but when I try to get to recovery it doesn't load. It does nothing just hangs on a black screen. I tried using the adb reboot recovery command and the power+volume keys.
Last time I used the recovery was when I installed the 4.4.3 update and everything looked fine.
From fastboot mode I tried to re-flash just the recovery with fastboot flash recovery recovery.img but as I am completely stock and the phone is locked it failed with error FAILED (remote: not supported in locked device).
Do I really have to unlock my phone to fix this ? Should I send it to Google under warranty ?

You have to unlock the bootloader to flash in fastboot.
20th June 2014, 10:55 AM |#3  
Senior Member
Flag Göd
Thanks Meter: 897
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by maschenazi

Just tried to install the latest KK 4.4.4 and noticed that my phone doesn't boot to recovery anymore. Otherwise, the phone works ok and I can boot to fastboot, but when I try to get to recovery it doesn't load. It does nothing just hangs on a black screen. I tried using the adb reboot recovery command and the power+volume keys.
Last time I used the recovery was when I installed the 4.4.3 update and everything looked fine.
From fastboot mode I tried to re-flash just the recovery with fastboot flash recovery recovery.img but as I am completely stock and the phone is locked it failed with error FAILED (remote: not supported in locked device).
Do I really have to unlock my phone to fix this ? Should I send it to Google under warranty ?

First educate yourself. http://forum.xda-developers.com/goog...guide-t2510966
http://forum.xda-developers.com/goog...oader-t2507905
http://forum.xda-developers.com/goog...image-t2513701
read them all, then ask your questions again.

Tapatalk-kal küldve az én Nexus 5-el
20th June 2014, 11:08 AM |#4  
maschenazi's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Telford
Thanks Meter: 42
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitdomo

First educate yourself. http://forum.xda-developers.com/goog...guide-t2510966
http://forum.xda-developers.com/goog...oader-t2507905
http://forum.xda-developers.com/goog...image-t2513701
read them all, then ask your questions again.

Tapatalk-kal küldve az én Nexus 5-el

I already know how to unlock/root/flash roms. It was my choice to keep it all stock.
My question was really if anybody had this problem before and why would a completely stock device would have a corrupted recovery over night ?
20th June 2014, 11:16 AM |#5  
Senior Member
Flag Göd
Thanks Meter: 897
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by maschenazi

I already know how to unlock/root/flash roms. It was my choice to keep it all stock.
My question was really if anybody had this problem before and why would a completely stock device would have a corrupted recovery over night ?

Then it is up to you. Do you want to fix it? Then unlock bl and reflash the recovery.
You dont want to fix it? Then rma it.

Everybody here would suggest you to reflash the recovery.
You can root with towelroot without wiping anything and unlocking bl. After the root download superuser app and nexus bootunlocker and open the bl with that then reflash recovery

Tapatalk-kal küldve az én Nexus 5-el
20th June 2014, 11:29 AM |#6  
maschenazi's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Telford
Thanks Meter: 42
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitdomo

Then it is up to you. Do you want to fix it? Then unlock bl and reflash the recovery.
You dont want to fix it? Then rma it.

Everybody here would suggest you to reflash the recovery.
You can root with towelroot without wiping anything and unlocking bl. After the root download superuser app and nexus bootunlocker and open the bl with that then reflash recovery

Tapatalk-kal küldve az én Nexus 5-el

I guess you are right,but I'm just pissed off about it.
I had quite a few Android devices in the past and I've hacked, unlocked, rooted and put custom ROM's on all of them. The Nexus 5 was the first device I owned that I didn't feel the need to do that.
Only now I am being forced to do that to fix it, or put up with being without the phone for a week or so.
Oh well, I pre-ordered the LG G3 anyway and the Nexus 5 will go to my wife.
20th June 2014, 11:36 AM |#7  
Senior Member
Flag Göd
Thanks Meter: 897
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by maschenazi

I guess you are right,but I'm just pissed off about it.
I had quite a few Android devices in the past and I've hacked, unlocked, rooted and put custom ROM's on all of them. The Nexus 5 was the first device I owned that I didn't feel the need to do that.
Only now I am being forced to do that to fix it, or put up with being without the phone for a week or so.
Oh well, I pre-ordered the LG G3 anyway and the Nexus 5 will go to my wife.

You could wait until you get 4.4.4 offically, then probably it got fixed, because every ota has a recovery which get flashed.

Tapatalk-kal küldve az én Nexus 5-el
20th June 2014, 11:47 AM |#8  
maschenazi's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Telford
Thanks Meter: 42
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitdomo

You could wait until you get 4.4.4 offically, then probably it got fixed, because every ota has a recovery which get flashed.

Tapatalk-kal küldve az én Nexus 5-el

Are you sure about that ? I got the KTU84P update but is only 2.4Mb. I didnt see any .img in the zip file.
20th June 2014, 11:57 AM |#9  
Senior Member
Flag Göd
Thanks Meter: 897
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by maschenazi

Are you sure about that ? I got the KTU84P update but is only 2.4Mb. I didnt see any .img in the zip file.

recovery-from-boot.p in the recovery folder. It replaced my twrp recovery after the flash.

When you enter to recovery, the screen is black like it is turned off or you see the back light like when you watching a black photo?

Can you eneter recovery for once more, and press volume_up and power buttom at the same time.

Tapatalk-kal küldve az én Nexus 5-el
20th June 2014, 12:03 PM |#10  
maschenazi's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Telford
Thanks Meter: 42
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitdomo

recovery-from-boot.p in the recovery folder. It replaced my twrp recovery after the flash.

When you enter to recovery, the screen is black like it is turned off or you see the back light like when you watching a black photo?

Can you eneter recovery for once more, and press volume_up and power buttom at the same time.

Tapatalk-kal küldve az én Nexus 5-el

The screen is black, not off. I can still see the back light.
I tried it, but no luck. If I keep them pressed long enough it just reboots after 10 seconds or so.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes