Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,947 Members 40,566 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Phone heats up while charging

Tip us?

TheLastMirana
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Default Phone heats up while charging

My nexus 5 seems to get really hot while charging, I usually let it cool down a bit before using it again. Any idea what could be causing it

Stock Rom 4.4.2
Franco kernel r47 stock settings, slightly underclocked

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

pikachukaki
Old
Thanks Meter 2514

DONATE TO ME
Thats normal dude...if you use your phone while its charging you are using the energy from the charget to use your phone and to charge your phone...Faux kernel has the ability to lower you cpu speed to avoid heat but its pretty normal for the phone and any other device you have to heat while charging!!!

markdapimp
Old
Thanks Meter 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikachukaki View Post
Thats normal dude...if you use your phone while its charging you are using the energy from the charget to use your phone and to charge your phone...Faux kernel has the ability to lower you cpu speed to avoid heat but its pretty normal for the phone and any other device you have to heat while charging!!!
This, everything gets hot while being used

Like a engine it gets hot while being used
Devices: Nexus 5 (Sold) 1X
Nexus 5
HTC One

jt3
Old
(Last edited by jt3; 29th April 2014 at 03:22 PM.)
Thanks Meter 61
Your phone should get warm, but not hot. If it's getting hot, then there's a problem.

If you're not sure whether the phone is warm or hot, then it's simply warm. You'll absolutely know it if it's hot. Also, try letting it cool (as you've done), then put the phone back on the charger at as close to 100% charge as you can. Once you're at 100%, touch the phone, then wait 10 minutes. If, after 10 minutes, it's significantly hotter than before, then something is probably wrong, because your phone didn't go into "trickle" mode, like it should. If that's the case, I'd be more inclined to look at replacing the charger, than the phone.

bblzd
Old
Thanks Meter 252
My phone barely gets warm to the touch solely from charging. In fact, the battery temperature usually drops and holds at about 26C when I plug in.

Are you using the phone heavily while it's charging?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
W32

joannn
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastMirana View Post
My nexus 5 seems to get really hot while charging, I usually let it cool down a bit before using it again. Any idea what could be causing it

Stock Rom 4.4.2
Franco kernel r47 stock settings, slightly underclocked

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app
Its very normal case for every smartphones. However,
Try plugging in another charger if one is available and see if the issue persist. If the charger is defective you can process you should discard immediately or process for a warranty return if still under warranty.
Remove the battery door and battery from the device, inspect the battery and battery connections. Ensure there is no damaged to the battery, battery pins or contacts on the device. If you have damage to the battery or charging pins, please discontinue use and submit the phone for repair.