Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,130 Members 53,123 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

REALLY bad battery life in Nexus 5.

Tip us?
 
teunnk
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 15
Join Date: Oct 2012
Default REALLY bad battery life in Nexus 5.

Hello,

So today I had a few hours to waste at school. I played around on my phone just using social media and stuff but I noticed the battery went down REALLY fast. Also I noticed that the phone was very hot when just browsing twitter. I'm rooted, have elementalX installed and I'm on dalvik. I'll include photos. Help would be appreciated. I had GPS off, also the 'ok google' command was turned off. I know the Nexus 5 battery life isn't great but I normally get about 3-4 hours of screen on time, I only use my phone to browse social media really.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1400698334853.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	2756073   Click image for larger version

Name:	1400698733521.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	2756089   Click image for larger version

Name:	1400698759685.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	2756090  
 
simms22
Old
#2  
simms22's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 20643
Posts: 24,865
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: BROOKLYN!
well, your wifi connection looks terrible, thatll drain battery very fast. plus google play services took a little battery from you.
Google+ Profile
Twitter Simms22
DerKernel For Trinity kernels and more!
 
teunnk
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 15
Join Date: Oct 2012
Hmm, I was only sitting in thay class for about 20 minutes though and normally I get way better battery life at school. I will check on the play services though. thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
 
KJ
Old
#4  
KJ's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2729
Posts: 6,794
Join Date: May 2011
Location: The boonies - southwest Ontario
If you're rooted, gsam or something similar can tell you if you had any wakelocks, and if so, what app.

The stock battery usage screen pretty much has no useful info.
Sent from my N5, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life on the N5...or any device really? Lots of info in first 3 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips

 
simms22
Old
#5  
simms22's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 20643
Posts: 24,865
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: BROOKLYN!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj2112 View Post
If you're rooted, gsam or something similar can tell you if you had any wakelocks, and if so, what app.

The stock battery usage screen pretty much has no useful info.
the stock battery usage screen(s) is all i use, is all i need. i manage to get by using only the info there
Google+ Profile
Twitter Simms22
DerKernel For Trinity kernels and more!
The Following User Says Thank You to simms22 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
KJ
Old
#6  
KJ's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2729
Posts: 6,794
Join Date: May 2011
Location: The boonies - southwest Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by simms22 View Post
the stock battery usage screen(s) is all i use, is all i need. i manage to get by using only the info there
You know what you're doing.... But if someone doesn't.... They'll never find issues with it.... Most the time. Or see wakelocks.

---------- Post added at 06:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 PM ----------

Oh, and as a full time battery life helper.....I can't help anyone without something better than stock screen shots....not without taking guess after guess. Lol
Sent from my N5, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life on the N5...or any device really? Lots of info in first 3 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips

The Following User Says Thank You to KJ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
simms22
Old
#7  
simms22's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 20643
Posts: 24,865
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: BROOKLYN!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj2112 View Post
You know what you're doing.... But if someone doesn't.... They'll never find issues with it.... Most the time. Or see wakelocks.
truth, lol

except thats the first place ill see when a wakelock is bugging my phone. itll show up as my phone being awake when my screens off. normally when my phone screen is off, my phone doesnt get woken(except for gmails or messages). but if i see it awake, i know i have wakelock to kill(or get a system process unstuck).
Google+ Profile
Twitter Simms22
DerKernel For Trinity kernels and more!
 
KJ
Old
#8  
KJ's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2729
Posts: 6,794
Join Date: May 2011
Location: The boonies - southwest Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by simms22 View Post
truth, lol

except thats the first place ill see when a wakelock is bugging my phone. itll show up as my phone being awake when my screens off. normally when my phone screen is off, my phone doesnt get woken(except for gmails or messages). but if i see it awake, i know i have wakelock to kill(or get a system process unstuck).
But how do you find the wake locks? Like a needle in a hay stack without a battery monitoring app.

And again, I'm sure you personally can find them quick enough, but 90 percent on here can't.... And I sure can't if they don't get gsam, BBS, wakelock detector or something.
Sent from my N5, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life on the N5...or any device really? Lots of info in first 3 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips

 
simms22
Old
#9  
simms22's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 20643
Posts: 24,865
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: BROOKLYN!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj2112 View Post
But how do you find the wake locks? Like a needle in a hay stack without a battery monitoring app.

And again, I'm sure you personally can find them quick enough, but 90 percent on here can't.... And I sure can't if they don't get gsam, BBS, wakelock detector or something.
its usually like one of three anyways(if i get bad one). anyways, i use wakelock detector to greenify sysyem apps occasionally, or if i need to find a wakelock https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...kelockdetector
Google+ Profile
Twitter Simms22
DerKernel For Trinity kernels and more!
The Following User Says Thank You to simms22 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
KJ
Old
#10  
KJ's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2729
Posts: 6,794
Join Date: May 2011
Location: The boonies - southwest Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by simms22 View Post
its usually like one of three anyways(if i get bad one). anyways, i use wakelock detector to greenify sysyem apps occasionally, or if i need to find a wakelock https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...kelockdetector
Got that one too. Lol

Gsam is great overall....but wakelock detector has more detail for actual wakelocks.

When helping someone, I usually ask for gsam main screen.... To get the big picture, then wakelocks.

K.... we're hijacking. Even tho its thread related... I still must report us both. 😜
Sent from my N5, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life on the N5...or any device really? Lots of info in first 3 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips


The Following User Says Thank You to KJ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes