Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,099 Members 45,556 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] PLEASE HELP: Lost root when trying to (unsuccessfully) update my N5?

Tip us?

ThatAngryGnome
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] PLEASE HELP: Lost root when trying to (unsuccessfully) update my N5?

Hi, this is my first post so bear with me if I did something wrong.
I got the notification to update my Nexus 5 (OTA) to 4.4.4. I stupidly agreed to update it and whatya know? I lost root. Here's the break down of what happened:
CWM asked me if it wanted to flash the stock recovery or keep CWM (the actual message was: ROM may flash stock recovery on boot, NO or YES. Along side yes it told me that selecting yes would keep CWM). I selected yes.
Then, in the next page, CWM warned me that I *may* loose root access if I select no, but I had no idea what would happen if I selected it, so I selected yes (keep root), and my phone rebooted.
After that, my phone booted and when I checked, it was still on 4.3.
I went on the XDA thread: [INFO] Nexus 5 OTA Help-Desk. It told me in order to update (Section C), I must uninstall Xposed Framework, and then just flash the OTA.zip how you would normally.
But now it becomes tricky, as I can't uninstall Xposed because I'm not rooted.
So why don't you just do Scenario #1? Because I have CWM which won't let me apply the update from adb (or at least I don't know how to)
So why don't you use Scenario #2? Because I'm not rooted but can get into CWM.
So what am I supposed to do now? How will I get my SU back, along with root permissions? Do I have to reroot? Please help!
I understand this may be a no-brainer for people who actually know about rooting and recoveries, but my head is hurting right now trying to work this out, so a step by step would be helpful. I found that other threads would say like "oh just do this!" and what they mean is a bunch of steps to reach that point. Thanks A LOT!

GtrCraft
Old
Thanks Meter 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatAngryGnome View Post
Hi, this is my first post so bear with me if I did something wrong.
I got the notification to update my Nexus 5 (OTA) to 4.4.4. I stupidly agreed to update it and whatya know? I lost root. Here's the break down of what happened:
CWM asked me if it wanted to flash the stock recovery or keep CWM (the actual message was: ROM may flash stock recovery on boot, NO or YES. Along side yes it told me that selecting yes would keep CWM). I selected yes.
Then, in the next page, CWM warned me that I *may* loose root access if I select no, but I had no idea what would happen if I selected it, so I selected yes (keep root), and my phone rebooted.
After that, my phone booted and when I checked, it was still on 4.3.
I went on the XDA thread: [INFO] Nexus 5 OTA Help-Desk. It told me in order to update (Section C), I must uninstall Xposed Framework, and then just flash the OTA.zip how you would normally.
But now it becomes tricky, as I can't uninstall Xposed because I'm not rooted.
So why don't you just do Scenario #1? Because I have CWM which won't let me apply the update from adb (or at least I don't know how to)
So why don't you use Scenario #2? Because I'm not rooted but can get into CWM.
So what am I supposed to do now? How will I get my SU back, along with root permissions? Do I have to reroot? Please help!
I understand this may be a no-brainer for people who actually know about rooting and recoveries, but my head is hurting right now trying to work this out, so a step by step would be helpful. I found that other threads would say like "oh just do this!" and what they mean is a bunch of steps to reach that point. Thanks A LOT!
Just flash supersu in CWM and you are rooted
Nexus 5 Black 32GB:

Rom: Latest Mahdi & Xposed Framework
Kernel: Latest ElementalX
Recovery: Latest TWRP

Smooth Scrolling Mod for Mahdi
Smooth Scrolling Mod for Purity(+)

HTC Desire X:

ThatAngryGnome
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrCraft View Post
Just flash supersu in CWM and you are rooted
I'm sorry if I sound like a total noob, but how would you do that?! Is there something you have to download and then put it on your device and then flash it? Do you have a download link?

vin4yak
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1918

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatAngryGnome View Post
I'm sorry if I sound like a total noob, but how would you do that?! Is there something you have to download and then put it on your device and then flash it? Do you have a download link?
Check the thread named "unlock bootloader and root" which is linked in my signature. You should get the download link and steps to be followed from there.

You were rooted previously, right? Forgot the steps already?

- Sent from an IceCold Hammerhead!

nikon120
Old
(Last edited by nikon120; 26th June 2014 at 02:44 AM.)
Thanks Meter 325
Replied to wrong post. Oops.