Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,470 Members 41,244 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Portable Hard Drive OTG Power Needed?

Tip us?

AcousticBison
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Portable Hard Drive OTG Power Needed?

Hi guys

I was just wondering if i will need extra power if I want to connect my nexus 5 to a portable hard drive via OTG? If there are any that don't need extra power, what are they? I'm in the UK thanks.

/A-B

jd1639
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,364
A portable hard drive will need external power. Don't know any that don't. The power draw is too high for the device to handle it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

CitizenLee
Old
Thanks Meter 492
I have a 250GB Western Digital Passport, 1TB Samsung M3 and a 500GB DIY portable HDD I made with an old laptop drive and USB 3.0 enclosure from eBay... and none of them require an external power supply as they're all USB powered.

Also, when I had a Note 2 I could connect these drives to it... so whilst I can't say for sure they will work with the N5, I don't think it should be ruled out.

I'm at work right now and have no idea where my USB OTG cable is, but if I can find it when I get home I'll test them out.
Main Device: Google Nexus 5
Other Devices: Samsung Galaxy Note 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Samsung Galaxy S2, Motorola Moto G
Retired: HTC Hero, HTC Wildfire S, HTC Desire HD, Samsung Galaxy Note 1
Dropbox | Flickr

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 11,422
Since the S3, all flagship Samsung have been able to power OTG Mechanical HDD's.

On the N5, many will not power however recently a few people have said they have managed to do so, but whatever. Generally the advice with the N5 is you need a powered USB hub. Some may work without but we dont have a catalogue of what works.
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

**Sticky Roll-up: All Guides snd Info Threads linked here**

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

AcousticBison
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I'd really appreciate that CitizenLee. The Samsung M3 was the portable hard drive I was thinking of buying and I would be great to know first hand.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk