Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,583 Members 40,362 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Potential new owner, key question, knockon

Tip us?

ilovecats
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Default [Q] Potential new owner, key question, knockon

I'm currently debating between a LG G2 and a Nexus 5, and leaning toward the Nexus 5 because I really want the stock Android experience. But I absolutely love the Knockon feature on the G2. Some quick search shows that Nexus 5 has this implemented via custom kernels. My question is if this implementation is just as good that of the G2 (i.el, consistent, no buggy behavior, no heavy battery drain), and if it can be done by flashing just a kernel or mod (leaving the base Google Android intact. Kind of tired of messing with tons of custom ROM's. Want the stock one and sticking to it.)

Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

mistahseller
Old
(Last edited by mistahseller; 4th March 2014 at 07:16 PM.)
Thanks Meter 192
The knock knock feature requires the digitizer to stay on so yes, there will be some battery drain but I think some users report like 2% in an hour which is perfectly acceptable to me. I used knock for a while on the Chaos Kernel when it was not CAF based and it worked just as it should. I am sure things have only improved in the latest kernels. There is a dev that adds the double tap to wake/ sleep to some of the most popular kernels such as Franco and elementalx.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2524557 bricked kernel

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2524422 neohammer

These were just on the first page but I know there's a dev that adds these features to franco which is popular and so on.
The Following User Says Thank You to mistahseller For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

vin4yak
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1936

DONATE TO ME
Hello,

Well, first of all you ask such a question in the Nexus 5 forum?! Obviously people are going to tell you to buy the Nexus! Knockon/dt2w features has been implemented on N5 by our awesome devs but people have reported that they are suffering from battery drain!

It really comes down to your choice basically. Yes, the G2 might have a bigger battery but the N5 will have long time support from Google (since it's a nexus) and from our devs off course! That's the reason why all of us fell in love with the Nexus 5!
The Following User Says Thank You to vin4yak For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

PhilipTD
Old
Thanks Meter 361
I use Touch Control. It's awesome, and doesn't have any noticeable effect on the battery.

1PLUS 1 STOCK CM11S TWRP
NEXUS 5 STOCK KK444 FK XPOSED TWRP
NEXUS 7 STOCK KK444 FK XPOSED TWRP
NEXUS 1 EVERVOLV KK444 XPOSED TWRP

carluchok
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Nexus 5 owner

Some months ago I was wondering almost the same thing, between the Nexus 5 and Motorola X. Finally I decided to buy the Nexus 5 (primarily because its price) but the point here is that now I have 3 months with it, and I can tell you I'm very happy with it.
It depends on your preferences, I like the stock android experience and the huge developer support for the Nexus rather than a phone full of features, sometimes unnecessary features. And with XDA and some time you can have a Nexus full of features too.
Tags
knockon, nexus 5