Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,636 Members 52,301 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Pre-paid SIM for Ireland and UK

Tip us?
 
sbi1
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 38
Posts: 302
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Boston area
Default Pre-paid SIM for Ireland and UK

Does anyone know of a good cheap solution for a pre-paid SIM card that allows calls to the U.S. from both countries?

Thank you.
 
ghalib87
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 171
Posts: 607
Join Date: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbi1 View Post
Does anyone know of a good cheap solution for a pre-paid SIM card that allows calls to the U.S. from both countries?

Thank you.
Try libara mobile or lyca mobile sim.
It should work from both countries.
Try to avoid vodaphone,o2,3,orange.
Those providers are quite expensive even local calls are too

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
 
hunhool
Old
(Last edited by hunhool; 2nd May 2014 at 05:40 AM.)
#3  
hunhool's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 54
Posts: 392
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Nottingham

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbi1 View Post
Does anyone know of a good cheap solution for a pre-paid SIM card that allows calls to the U.S. from both countries?

Thank you.
I using the app called "tesco calling card" from playstore.
Really cheap(USA mobile&landline are 2penny/minute)
Easy to use and easy to top up...and of course you don't need to use another sim card.
 
sbi1
Old
#4  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 38
Posts: 302
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Boston area
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghalib87 View Post
Try libara mobile or lyca mobile sim.
It should work from both countries.
Try to avoid vodaphone,o2,3,orange.
Those providers are quite expensive even local calls are too

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
I used Lebara before and they will work in Ireland, the problem is that it is a UK company and using it outside UK (even Ireland) is roaming, so a 0.06p per minute call from UK to US will cost ú1.99 from Ireland which is crazy (and ú0.07 for incoming calls).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunhool View Post
I using the app called "tesco calling card" from playstore.
Really cheap(USA mobile&landline are 2penny/minute)
Easy to use and easy to top up...and of course you don't need to use another sim card.
I'll have to check this, but if this is a calling card, you still need to dial to an access number while in Ireland, don't you? Which SIM will you use for that?
 
hunhool
Old
#5  
hunhool's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 54
Posts: 392
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Nottingham

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbi1 View Post
I used Lebara before and they will work in Ireland, the problem is that it is a UK company and using it outside UK (even Ireland) is roaming, so a 0.06p per minute call from UK to US will cost ú1.99 from Ireland which is crazy (and ú0.07 for incoming calls).



I'll have to check this, but if this is a calling card, you still need to dial to an access number while in Ireland, don't you? Which SIM will you use for that?
Its not a calling card,it is an application and you can download it from playstore.
Here is the link for the app.
You'll find all the info how to use it,etc.
I use it with my EE pay monthly sim(it comes with unlimited calls to 01,02,03 and mobile numbers)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...co.callingcard

REKOGN═ZED KONYHAB┌TOR
 
sbi1
Old
#6  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 38
Posts: 302
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Boston area
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunhool View Post
Its not a calling card,it is an application and you can download it from playstore.
Here is the link for the app.
You'll find all the info how to use it,etc.
I use it with my EE pay monthly sim(it comes with unlimited calls to 01,02,03 and mobile numbers)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...co.callingcard

REKOGN═ZED KONYHAB┌TOR
Thanks hunhool. I am still not following this. If I visit UK/Ireland with a U.S. phone, I still need some kind of a cell service or data access in order to use this, am I not?
I am looking for a solution for non-UK/non-Ireland resident visiting from abroad, to call back to the U.S. How could I possibly call any access number if I don't have a local sim/service, or internet connection?
 
j'vai
Old
(Last edited by j'vai; 17th May 2014 at 03:34 PM.)
#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 14
Posts: 115
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: wash dc
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbi1 View Post
Does anyone know of a good cheap solution for a pre-paid SIM card that allows calls to the U.S. from both countries?

Thank you.
i use a truphone prepaid sim, ireland, the UK & US are part of their network, rates are.. competitive.. ~attachment~

http://www.truphone.com/uk/lp/Rate-checker/


the only stump while using it in the states, is it doesn't pick up lte /4g; the highest data you'll get is hspa+, on ither tmobile or att, i know on the east coast (wash dc) it picks up tmobile's hspa+ at 7mb and up, **in the suburbs**
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot - 05172014 - 10:21:44 AM.png
Views:	32
Size:	240.3 KB
ID:	2748715  
 
j'vai
Old
#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 14
Posts: 115
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: wash dc
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbi1 View Post
Thanks hunhool. I am still not following this. If I visit UK/Ireland with a U.S. phone, I still need some kind of a cell service or data access in order to use this, am I not?
I am looking for a solution for non-UK/non-Ireland resident visiting from abroad, to call back to the U.S. How could I possibly call any access number if I don't have a local sim/service, or internet connection?
~attachment~

sweet ..right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	truphone us -uk rates.png
Views:	28
Size:	247.4 KB
ID:	2748786  

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes