Google Invites Selected Devs to Buy Project Tango Development Kit

Just about a month ago, the curious Project Tango development kit was … more

Micromax Yureka: Indian Handset with CyanogenMod

Thesoap opera involving Cyanogen Inc., OnePlus, and Micromax is one of the most talked about … more

Chainfire Turns Your Bootanimation into a Logging Center

Having a nice boot animation certainly adds a little bit of aesthetic polish to your … more

Android TV Launcher Pushed to Google Play

Over the past decade, the tech universe has seen two drastic and widely contrasting changes with … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Higher prioritize app not to be killed over another?

OP RevelationOmega

30th January 2014, 05:44 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 542

535 posts
Donate to Me
More
I noticed when playing my music w/ Viper FX that the sound quality goes from using the drivers of the app to stock flat (audio quality depreciates) since the app was killed while performing another task (such as opening hangouts or other apps while using phone). I noticed that Android doesn't release the RAM from another app that was being used (ex. ESPN, hangouts, etc) since those apps were more recent while Viper was opened and left. I was wondering if there existed anything to set a higher priority of the Viper FX (or other apps) over some so they won't be killed even if newer used? Thanks for any information.
30th January 2014, 06:24 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 590

3,105 posts
Donate to Me
More
Think this would probably be the easiest way: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...s.MemoryLocker - the developer is very well known for these kinds of mods and RAM management. Adjusting the oom ratio will give the app higher priorities so make it less likely to be killed. I'm sure there are ways to manual doing it via adding a script or something, but time and effort for all that, I dunno if it's worth it unless you really like to tinker and do stuff manually.
30th January 2014, 06:28 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Atlanta

535 posts
Donate to Me
More
Thank you, that will probably be easier way with root. Was checking to see if any way to do manually since don't need just for Viper but may have to do it.
30th January 2014, 06:39 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 590

3,105 posts
Donate to Me
More
Ah, sorry. I was thinking that you had to have root for Viper, so that you were already rooted. Pretty sure there isn't a way to make these kinds of tweaks without root either manually or via an app like Memory Locker. There really isn't a compelling reason NOT to root, in my opinion. It's not complicated (compared to most other phones) and is fairly easy to reverse. If you'd like some help with it, lemme know.
Last edited by es0tericcha0s; 30th January 2014 at 06:47 PM.
30th January 2014, 07:17 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Atlanta

535 posts
Donate to Me
More
I am rooted, sorry. Would it be possible to push the app from user app status to system app (via file explorer/permissions) (such as MusicFX)? Installed normally and it works great but maybe, if by making a system app, it'd be less likely to be killed versus user?

Don't want to use titanium backup push to system, had bad experiences and will not use the app again for some time.
30th January 2014, 08:27 PM   |  #6  
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 13,805

24,979 posts
More
Theres discussion about putting viper in /system/priv-app in one of the two viper thread's in themes and apps (n5).

I still have mine in /data/data.

I've made it resident with the xposed module called "app settings" but I can't confirm anything yet

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Hammer_Of_The_Gods
30th January 2014, 09:04 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 0

n/a posts
Hi,

I have not tested and I don't know if it will be useful but there is an Xposed module to keep apps in memory, maybe you can try... This module is not only for this, there is other features.

Here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2437377.
Quote:

- Resident in memory: If set, the system will try much harder to keep the app in memory even when you leave it. It might make the app more responsive when reopening but will also consume more RAM, possibly slowing down the overall system.

EDIT: maybe the app posted by es0tericcha0s is better, lightest and easiest to use...

Last edited by Hammer_Of_The_Gods; 30th January 2014 at 09:08 PM.
30th January 2014, 09:07 PM   |  #8  
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 13,805

24,979 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by viking37

Hi,

I have not tested and I don't know if it will be useful but there is an Xposed module to keep apps in memory, maybe you can try...

Here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2437377.

I'm testing it as mentioned above

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Hammer_Of_The_Gods
30th January 2014, 09:08 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 0

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU

I'm testing it as mentioned above

Hi,

My bad, I missed something here