Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,486 Members 44,512 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Problem with my N5 when it heats up.

Tip us?

dhaval
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Phone [Q] Problem with my N5 when it heats up.

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right forum thread, but recently having lots of problem with my N5.

i have a 32GB N5, when I use LTE & Location on the road, it heats up, the screen starts flickering and eventually, gets to a point when I don't see anything, I have to wait for it to cool down, turn off from recovery by guessing and after 15-20-30 mins, it will be back to Normal. Is this an issue with N5 or is it just with mine.

I bought it from Craigslist, so I do not have any warranty info. not sure if I can get it replaced.

I have used many many different ROMs on my N5, it was unlocked & I rooted it. Currently I am running stock rooted with Faux kernel with Gravitybox for customizations.

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA,
Dhaval.

mistahseller
Old
Thanks Meter 192
From the way it is described it is way more than just software especially with screen flickering clearly this isn't an issue with every nexus 5 or Google would have addressed it immediately.. I would restore back to complete stock and see if it still does it. Too bad you bought it from some guy off craigslist, he probably knew about the problem and just didn't RMA it.

There is a Q&A forum.

datallboy
Old
Thanks Meter 88

DONATE TO ME
Do you get some weird colored lines sort of like TV static also? Randomly, my phone does this every so often and I'm somewhat worried about it.

It only occurs in apps, on the home screen it doesn't occur.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app
Current Devices

XDA Banner

Retired Devices

Nook Tablet 8GB

Email: datallboy@gmail.com

justmpm
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 2,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by datallboy View Post
Do you get some weird colored lines sort of like TV static also? Randomly, my phone does this every so often and I'm somewhat worried about it.

It only occurs in apps, on the home screen it doesn't occur.

A stock Nexus 5 should be pretty well protected from over heating. I would recommending restoring the factory firmware to see if it fixes the problem. If it is still over heating then it probably needs a visit to service.

datallboy
Old
Thanks Meter 88

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmpm View Post
A stock Nexus 5 should be pretty well protected from over heating. I would recommending restoring the factory firmware to see if it fixes the problem. If it is still over heating then it probably needs a visit to service.
ElementalX kernel might be making it funny. I'll go back to stock kernel first and see.

Current Devices

XDA Banner

Retired Devices

Nook Tablet 8GB

Email: datallboy@gmail.com

chaco81
Old
Thanks Meter 25

DONATE TO ME
OP

if i were you, i would download the Google N5 Image from their servers and wipe your device clean

before knowing is for sure its hardware related, i would rule out all signs of software issues first
Nexus S / GNex / N4 / N7