Lot's Of Root Questions

OP deepak2001

5th April 2014, 09:36 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

20 posts
Okay, so I've got into the Android ecosystem with Nexus 5 as my first device, after ditching my iPhone 5S.
I wanted to root it, but have a few questions:

1) Will my 3rd-party apps get deleted [Phone Is Non-Contract if it helps]
2) Will I be getting OTA updates, like the upcoming Android KitKat 4.4.3?
3) Will my phone become slow/prone to viruses/malwares?
4) What are these "ROMs and Kernels" I'm hearing/seeing a lot, and which one is the best after a root?
5th April 2014, 09:40 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Heerlen
Thanks Meter: 3,130

8,537 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepak2001

Okay, so I've got into the Android ecosystem with Nexus 5 as my first device, after ditching my iPhone 5S.

4) What are these "ROMs and Kernels" I'm hearing/seeing a lot, and which one is the best after a root?

Better start reading first, read the first 4 threads in the General Section so you learn something about unlocking the bootloader. rooting, flashing, adb, custom recovery`s etc etc before you start doing stuff and ending up bricking your phone
5th April 2014, 09:44 PM   |  #3  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 6,041

4,400 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

1) Yes. Part of rooting is unlocking the bootloader which wipes all personal data from the phone.
2) Read here
3) Root has nothing to do with speed or performance. Its just elevated privileges. Its up to you what you choose to do with that. As for viruses, I have been rooted for a long long time and never come across any virus issues. The only times I've seen people get their phones infected is when they try to download pirated apps off sketchy, bootleg websites.
4) ROMs are basically the firmware/OS that runs on your phone. Kernels are what connect the software to hardware. There is no best rom/kernel. It a choice that you make for yourself.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromium For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th April 2014, 09:47 PM   |  #4  
Flag Somewhere quiet.
Thanks Meter: 2,019

3,397 posts
More
Quote:

1. It resets everything back to default the first time you unlock the bootloader.
2. You won't get OTA updates/they'll glitch, but it isn't hard to upgrade regardless through flashing the update (usually from XDA) rather than getting it OTA.
3. Common misconception, rooting does NOT make your phone slow, it simply allows access to your phone's root, which can possibly (not always) pave the way for malicious software asking for root access to your phone. You have to grant or deny root access for an application through SuperSU/Superuser so it's up to you to keep your phone safe.
4. ROMs are android builds, the one that comes with your phone is referred to as the stock ROM. Custom ROMs usually add a variety of new features/customization options to android, and sometimes increased performance (not always, sometimes worse). Kernels are the software/firmware that lets the system communicate with the hardware, and are a factor in battery life and performance, as well as (to some degree), personalization (eg swipe/tap2wake).

Edit: @Chromium beat me to it
6th April 2014, 06:37 AM   |  #5  
Flag Clearwater, Florida
Thanks Meter: 175

1,158 posts
More
Read through the threads for your phone. Make sure it's your specific phone model when modding. Another great idea is to watch YouTube Videos so you get a sort of hands on approach. YouTube really helped me out back in the day. Make sure you know what to do if something doesn't go as planned during the flashing process. Rooting & flashing custom roms is highly addictive and you may find yourself checking out XDA several times a day for the latest mods for your phone. Good luck and Godspeed!

NEXUS 5
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread