5,603,920 Members 42,506 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Proximity Sensor ignored in some orientation?

Tip us?

naddie
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 42
Default Proximity Sensor ignored in some orientation?

Is anyone noticing this happening to their Nexus 5?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjTGQaK1Qvw

That's actually my video I did for the Galaxy Nexus. Google fixed it in an update, but looks like the Nexus 5 and the current KitKat 4.4.2 is doing the same thing!

I could recreate the same thing in the video with my Nexus 5 (not rooted, 100% stock ROM).

The reason I looked into it was because I noticed that I keep accidentally face-dial or hang up on people when I use my shoulder to hold my phone against my face. I guess holding it that way is enough of an angle to simulate laying flat on a table, thus disabling the proximity sensor.

Doesn't seem like a bug, but by design (albeit a BAD design).

Cany anyone else verify?
Phones:
Nexus 5 - Stock, unrooted (AT&T)
Samsung Galaxy S III (SGH-I747 d2att) - CM 10.2 (T-Mobile)

Tablets:
Asus Nexus 7 WIFI (2013) - Stock unrooted
iPad Air LTE - Stock (T-Mobile)

GuyTechie.com
My YouTube Channel
My Reviews

HavocRo
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by naddie View Post
Is anyone noticing this happening to their Nexus 5?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjTGQaK1Qvw

That's actually my video I did for the Galaxy Nexus. Google fixed it in an update, but looks like the Nexus 5 and the current KitKat 4.4.2 is doing the same thing!

I could recreate the same thing in the video with my Nexus 5 (not rooted, 100% stock ROM).

The reason I looked into it was because I noticed that I keep accidentally face-dial or hang up on people when I use my shoulder to hold my phone against my face. I guess holding it that way is enough of an angle to simulate laying flat on a table, thus disabling the proximity sensor.

Doesn't seem like a bug, but by design (albeit a BAD design).

Cany anyone else verify?
My nexus 5 does the same thing .I don't know if it's a bug or it's meant to be like this.My other issue i have with the proximity sensor is that sometimes after a call ended the screen doesn't turn on and i have to use the power button.