Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,924 Members 45,191 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[q] help! I think my phone got fried! :(

Tip us?

Juansegovia20
Old
Thanks Meter 148
It got fried, mmmmhhh, i wonder how fried nexus 5 tastes.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Alex240188
Old
Thanks Meter 633
It must be coincidence that you flashed franco and then this happened. When your phone is off it's technically in recovery so Franco kernel is not even active from 02:30.
The fact that your phone was still red hot in the morning shows that the problem is not with the kernel.
The only thing active overnight was your phone charging. Which means either the battery was damaged or there was a problem with the charging components. on your battery graph. Had your battery got to full charge before it shut off.
I would guess that it probably did and for some reason it didn't stop charging and ended up overheating the battery by constantly trying to overcharge it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

NuckFuggets
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex240188 View Post
It must be coincidence that you flashed franco and then this happened. When your phone is off it's technically in recovery so Franco kernel is not even active from 02:30.
The fact that your phone was still red hot in the morning shows that the problem is not with the kernel.
The only thing active overnight was your phone charging. Which means either the battery was damaged or there was a problem with the charging components. on your battery graph. Had your battery got to full charge before it shut off.
I would guess that it probably did and for some reason it didn't stop charging and ended up overheating the battery by constantly trying to overcharge it.

maybe, but couldn't the kernel have lead to the overheat in the beginning? like something went wrong from the kernel that lead to the phone overeating?

on the battery graph though, it turned off at 2:30 with the battery about 55% full, that's when it turned off. and again when I unplugged it and by the time it cooled down enough to turn back on the battery was down to about 40%

Alex240188
Old
Thanks Meter 633
Yes the kernel could have led to overheating but once the phone is switched off it's technically in recovery and no longer using Franco kernel so it doesn't explain why it was still hot in the morning.
Do you have an outdated recovery installed?
This is pure speculation here based on something I have noticed in the past! But is theoretically possible.
On a previous phone I had. Can't remember if it was the nexus 4 or the HTC one x.
In the custom recovery the phone was locked 1.5ghz quad core. Meaning if you spent a long time in recovery the phone would heat up pretty quickly.
When the phone is switched off and plugged in. It's also in recovery. You can check this by running adb devices which tells you it's in recovery.
If the same issue is present on the nexus 5. Then here is a theory;
1. A bad configuration of Franco overheated your phone while charging.
2. The phone powers off to prevent damage.
3. While powered off and plugged in, it's in recovery.
4. The recovery bug locks your phone at 2.3ghz quad core.
5. There is no thermald in recovery so it just kept getting hotter and hotter.
6. The battery reached it's temp threshold and stopped charging but as it was still plugged in. It's still technically in recovery so locked at 2.3GHz.

Skin will usually burn at over 55°C. Bare in mind your finger tips can withstand a higher punishment than normal skin.
Your battery shouldn't ever go over 50°C because of throttling. (This might actually be 40° throttle and 50°shutdown)
If your phone was that hot on the outside, imagine what temperature it was on the inside.

Regardless the cause. I think you certainly have hardware damage which needs an RMA.

NuckFuggets
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex240188 View Post
Yes the kernel could have led to overheating but once the phone is switched off it's technically in recovery and no longer using Franco kernel so it doesn't explain why it was still hot in the morning.
Do you have an outdated recovery installed?
This is pure speculation here based on something I have noticed in the past! But is theoretically possible.
On a previous phone I had. Can't remember if it was the nexus 4 or the HTC one x.
In the custom recovery the phone was locked 1.5ghz quad core. Meaning if you spent a long time in recovery the phone would heat up pretty quickly.
When the phone is switched off and plugged in. It's also in recovery. You can check this by running adb devices which tells you it's in recovery.
If the same issue is present on the nexus 5. Then here is a theory;
1. A bad configuration of Franco overheated your phone while charging.
2. The phone powers off to prevent damage.
3. While powered off and plugged in, it's in recovery.
4. The recovery bug locks your phone at 2.3ghz quad core.
5. There is no thermald in recovery so it just kept getting hotter and hotter.
6. The battery reached it's temp threshold and stopped charging but as it was still plugged in. It's still technically in recovery so locked at 2.3GHz.

Skin will usually burn at over 55°C. Bare in mind your finger tips can withstand a higher punishment than normal skin.
Your battery shouldn't ever go over 50°C because of throttling. (This might actually be 40° throttle and 50°shutdown)
If your phone was that hot on the outside, imagine what temperature it was on the inside.

Regardless the cause. I think you certainly have hardware damage which needs an RMA.

oh ok makes sense. but yeah I have the latest twrp recovery, and never had an issue with it.

that theory/scenario makes a lot of sense, that could be what happened. I flashed back to stock kernel and everything is back to normal again regarding the temperature stuff, but location is still messed up.

I contacted Google last night and a supervisor said he'll take care of my issue and asked for my contact number and time that would work for me. so I replied with my number and saying 3pm and after would be best, it's almost 5 but still no reply. maybe he thought 3pm Pacific so I'll just have to wait
Tags
franco kernel, melt, overheat