5,593,248 Members 32,445 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Qi Wireless Charging and Overheating [TYLT VU Specific]

Tip us?
 
PearcePowers
Old
(Last edited by PearcePowers; 18th February 2014 at 05:28 AM.) Reason: thread updates
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 28
Join Date: Jan 2011
Default [Q] Qi Wireless Charging and Overheating [TYLT VU Specific]

I purchased the Tylt Vu wireless charger for my N5 and N7. Last night, before I went to bed, I charged the N7. In the middle of the night, I switched out the N7 and charged the N5. When I woke up this morning, the phone was too hot to touch, and had been powered down (as designed, based on the heat). It took about 5 minutes before the phone was cool enough to power on.

A couple questions: Can such extreme (??) heat do permanent damage to the phone? Has anyone else had this problem with the Tylt Vu wireless charger? The phone wasn't off-center, and nothing appeared abnormal when I set it on the charger. I wonder if transitioning from the N7 to the N5 so quickly caused an abnormality?

[UPDATE (2/17):]
I haven't been following this thread, as I decided after my overheating incident to no longer use the Tylt Vu with my Nexus 5. I was also a bit turned off by the response I received from Tylt.

I take no credit for the following information, I am only summarizing this thread to save you time.

The Tylt Vu is defective. It contains three charging coils that help it to charge any device without having to be finicky about positioning. However, unless you set the Nexus 5 onto the Tylt Vu in a specific manner, the third (top) coil will remain activated, resulting in overheating due to the magnets present in the Nexus 5. (Oversimplified explanation... read the chain for specifics.)

The "right way" is to set the Nexus 5 down in the crevice of the Vu, perpendicular to the earth, and then pivot it down to rest on the back of the Vu. The wrong way is to slide it down the back, or otherwise set it on the Vu in a way where it is not touching the short base first. (See post #118.) You can also permanently disable the third coil by opening up the Tylt. All of this applies to charging the N5 in portrait mode.

A big thanks to NCguy for his persistence throughout the thread, to Mr. Sprinkles for his theory and relentless testing, to jelledgeu2 for the "solution", and every other poster who has shed some light on this. And a big 'no thanks' to Tylt for their response to the issue.

tl;dr: Always be vigilant on how you set the N5 on the Tylt Vu, or charge the N5 on the Tylt Vu at your own risk.
The Following User Says Thank You to PearcePowers For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
3's&7's
Old
#2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 23
Join Date: Jul 2013
I have a Vu shipping now, I will report my experiences. Both of my boys have nexus 7's and will watch those too. Tyvm for the heads up...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
 
PMentior
Old
#3  
PMentior's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 67
Posts: 161
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Akron, OH
I haven't seen this behavior on any of my qi chargers including my tylt vu.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Devices:
Samsung Galaxy S2
Samsung Galaxy S3
Nexus 4 16GB
Nexus 5 32GB Black
Nexus 7 (2013) 32GB
 
diasro
Old
#4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 7
Join Date: Jun 2009
Were you able to successfully charge it before and this just happened the night when you switched from N7 to N5 ?. I don't think overheating damages any electronics because it is designed to shut off.
 
Drizwaldo1
Old
#5  
Member
Thanks Meter 15
Posts: 39
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by diasro View Post
Were you able to successfully charge it before and this just happened the night when you switched from N7 to N5 ?. I don't think overheating damages any electronics because it is designed to shut off.
I can confirm that I have experienced this with the same set up (n5+TYLT VU), although I also have the Spiegen Slim Armour. This happened though only once, when I was at work and the phone was baked like a hot potato!

Since then I have been coy about leaving it on the charger unattended - I have checked the phone regularly since,. both after and during long charges - the problem has not happened again.

The Following User Says Thank You to Drizwaldo1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Zandeer
Old
#6  
Member
Thanks Meter 14
Posts: 95
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by PearcePowers View Post
I purchased the Tylt Vu wireless charger for my N5 and N7. Last night, before I went to bed, I charged the N7. In the middle of the night, I switched out the N7 and charged the N5. When I woke up this morning, the phone was too hot to touch, and had been powered down (as designed, based on the heat). It took about 5 minutes before the phone was cool enough to power on.

A couple questions: Can such extreme (??) heat do permanent damage to the phone? Has anyone else had this problem with the Tylt Vu wireless charger? The phone wasn't off-center, and nothing appeared abnormal when I set it on the charger. I wonder if transitioning from the N7 to the N5 so quickly caused an abnormality?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Thanks for the heads up, as I am looking at purchasign the Tylt Vu.

The only thing I can say is that heat can definitely cause degredation of the battery. Besides that, there should be no signicant damage to the phone.
Phone History:
Motorola MicroTac, Nokia 5100, Nokia 3390, Motorola i90c, Motorol V330, Samsung D415, Motorola V360, Motorola W490, T-Mobile HTC G1, T-Mobile HTC Sensation, Google Nexus 5
 
PearcePowers
Old
#7  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 28
Join Date: Jan 2011
Thanks, everyone. I was able to charge both the N5 and N7 twice before without any troubles. I'm a little skeptical about leaving anything on it to charge unattended now -- my N5 was untouchably hot this morning. I've emailed Tylt to ask if they have any background/information on what could cause this to happen. I'll let you know if I hear back.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
 
Nordendorf
Old
#8  
Nordendorf's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 16
Posts: 121
Join Date: Jul 2011
i use the nexus orb charger at work and the LG 700 charger at home. While the phone can get a little warm, I certainly wouldn't consider it hot.

I'm not sure why your charger didn't turn off when reaching 100%


 
PearcePowers
Old
#9  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 28
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordendorf View Post
i use the nexus orb charger at work and the LG 700 charger at home. While the phone can get a little warm, I certainly wouldn't consider it hot.

I'm not sure why your charger didn't turn off when reaching 100%


It never charged. The phone was at 70% when I put it on the charger. When I woke up, once I was finally able to boot it up, it was at 73%. It was scary hot.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
 
NCguy
Old
#10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 147
Posts: 1,142
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by PearcePowers View Post
It never charged. The phone was at 70% when I put it on the charger. When I woke up, once I was finally able to boot it up, it was at 73%. It was scary hot.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
yes! I bought 2 tylt vu's from kickstarter and experienced exactly the same overheating problem. It was overnight and there was no charge on the battery in the morning with it still at 54% and very hot. It's possible that that the phone may have become mis-aligned on the charger but its unlikely. I just didn't happen to notice before I grabbed it off the charger. I can't explain how it happened and its only happened once....... so far.

In general the phone is alarming warm even when its working. The battery temp is usually around 110+ F even after it finishes charging. This compares with a battery temp of around 80F with the USB charger.

I'm not an expert but I'm thinking that the battery heat is not being generated by the battery itself internally but possibly by a heat transfer as a result of the induction. If that is in fact the case then maybe the warmer battery isn't as bad as it would be if it were in fact generated internally in the battery as is typically the result of a high charge/discharge rate.

So my concerns are two fold, the one-time completely unacceptable high overheating and the ongoing situation where it is always 20-40 degrees higher while on the tylt than it would be plugged into the USB charger.

I wouldn't be too concerned except that replacing a battery in an N5 is not like replacing a battery in a phone with a removable battery.

The Following User Says Thank You to NCguy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes