[Q] Question regarding rooting Nexus 5 and subsequent upgrades

Tip us?

litfoo
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Question regarding rooting Nexus 5 and subsequent upgrades

Hi all,

Looking for some advice please as a newbie to Android.

I have a Nexus 5 32gb on order that is being delivered any day now.

My assumption is that when I turn it on, it will have Android 4.4 installed as default.

I intend to immediately root my device prior to setting it up with all my personal data etc.

My questions are:
  • Do I install the 4.4.2 update OTA prior to rooting the device? I imagine this would make the most sense as there may not be further updates for a while - is this right?
  • If I do install the 4.4.2 update OTA and then root the device - for future updates, do I then have to install a 'Custom Rom'? - for example if/when Android upgrades to 4.5
  • Are there some good guides showing how to install a stock/vanilla Android upgrade?
  • If/when I install a 'Custom Rom' of 4.5 , what would happen to my root priviledges? I assume they would disappear? what then?
  • Is there a good repo/site for stock/vanilla Android OS?

Many thanks in advance,

litfoo

amcgavin
Old
Thanks Meter 75
You'll want to first update to 4.4.2, as it will save a bit of time.

What happened with my Nexus is I rooted it while on the 4.4.1 update, and then when 4.4.2 came around, I was able to use OTA which installed it through TWRP. I had to re-root my device and reinstall TWRP after this.

There are guides on how to sideload OTA updates, which is a way to update android.

Most custom roms will come with root, so you may not have to re-root.

Factory nexus 5 images are available here
https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

litfoo
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcgavin View Post
You'll want to first update to 4.4.2, as it will save a bit of time.

What happened with my Nexus is I rooted it while on the 4.4.1 update, and then when 4.4.2 came around, I was able to use OTA which installed it through TWRP. I had to re-root my device and reinstall TWRP after this.

There are guides on how to sideload OTA updates, which is a way to update android.

Most custom roms will come with root, so you may not have to re-root.

Factory nexus 5 images are available here
Many thanks for this .

So - once rooted, I can flash device with an updated Factory Nexus 5 image? If yes, I assume this will lose root?

If I wanted a custom rom of a factory Nexus5 image, but with root - where's the best place to find these and what are the most popular ones?

Cheers,

litfoo