Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,814,562 Members 53,616 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Question about rooting

Tip us?

oco345
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Question about rooting

Hi, i'm new to the xda community (this is my first post actually) and wasn't sure if this is the right place to post my question...sorry in advance...

I would like to root my Nexus 5 and wanted to know if there's a way to do so without unlocking the bootloader. My version is 4.4.2.
I recently came across the toolkit by wugfresh and I saw you could root the device separately - is it possible to root the device without unlocking using this toolkit?

thanks! (:

Evolution_Freak
Old
Thanks Meter 371
Questions belong in the Q&A thread.

Sent from my EVO using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.

pepdavies
Old
Thanks Meter 89
Don't use toolkits. Read the stickies. It's really easy after a bit of reading!

Sent from my Nexus 5

simms22
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 21,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by oco345 View Post
Hi, i'm new to the xda community (this is my first post actually) and wasn't sure if this is the right place to post my question...sorry in advance...

I would like to root my Nexus 5 and wanted to know if there's a way to do so without unlocking the bootloader. My version is 4.4.2.
I recently came across the toolkit by wugfresh and I saw you could root the device separately - is it possible to root the device without unlocking using this toolkit?

thanks! (:
no. you have to unlock the bootloader. after unlocking and rooting, you can relock it. fastboot oem unlock unlocks the bootloader via fastboot, and fastboot oem lock relocks the bootloader.
Google+ Profile
Twitter Simms22
DerKernel For Trinity kernels and more!

gee2012
Old
(Last edited by gee2012; 7th April 2014 at 07:05 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by oco345 View Post

thanks! (:
Next time post questions in Q&A.

1. Don`t use Toolkits as sooner or later you will run into trouble and you will not be able to fix it.
2, Rooting without unlocking the bootloader is impossible on the N5.
3. Read the first 5 threads in the General section well, then you know the basics that will prevent you from bricking your device.
USE Search: /this thread /all threads/Google before posting your question, you`re most likely not the first one having this issue