[Q] Question about rooting

OP oco345

7th April 2014, 06:52 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Hi, i'm new to the xda community (this is my first post actually) and wasn't sure if this is the right place to post my question...sorry in advance...

I would like to root my Nexus 5 and wanted to know if there's a way to do so without unlocking the bootloader. My version is 4.4.2.
I recently came across the toolkit by wugfresh and I saw you could root the device separately - is it possible to root the device without unlocking using this toolkit?

thanks! (:
7th April 2014, 06:55 PM   |  #2  
Flag East Stroudsburg
Thanks Meter: 394

720 posts
More
Questions belong in the Q&A thread.

Sent from my EVO using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
7th April 2014, 06:57 PM   |  #3  
Flag Cullompton
Thanks Meter: 96

259 posts
More
Don't use toolkits. Read the stickies. It's really easy after a bit of reading!

Sent from my Nexus 5
7th April 2014, 06:58 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
BROOKLYN!
Thanks Meter: 21,865

26,264 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oco345

Hi, i'm new to the xda community (this is my first post actually) and wasn't sure if this is the right place to post my question...sorry in advance...

I would like to root my Nexus 5 and wanted to know if there's a way to do so without unlocking the bootloader. My version is 4.4.2.
I recently came across the toolkit by wugfresh and I saw you could root the device separately - is it possible to root the device without unlocking using this toolkit?

thanks! (:

no. you have to unlock the bootloader. after unlocking and rooting, you can relock it. fastboot oem unlock unlocks the bootloader via fastboot, and fastboot oem lock relocks the bootloader.
7th April 2014, 07:00 PM   |  #5  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Heerlen
Thanks Meter: 3,145

8,558 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by oco345

thanks! (:

Next time post questions in Q&A.

1. Don`t use Toolkits as sooner or later you will run into trouble and you will not be able to fix it.
2, Rooting without unlocking the bootloader is impossible on the N5.
3. Read the first 5 threads in the General section well, then you know the basics that will prevent you from bricking your device.
Last edited by gee2012; 7th April 2014 at 07:05 PM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread