5,599,394 Members 38,025 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Question for Straight Talk Users

Tip us?

jdawg0024
Old
(Last edited by jdawg0024; 10th December 2013 at 08:02 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 81
Default Question for Straight Talk Users

I currently have a Nexus 5 bought from the Google Play Store. I am using it on the Sprint Network (Which I do not have LTE in my area) and I am tired of waiting. My contract is up in Jan. I am wondering how the service is through straight talk? Both T-Mo and AT&T have LTE in my area so I guess it doesn't matter what SIM card I use from Straight Talk. (I am leaning more towards AT&T) speed tests have shown it to be the faster of the 2. Is Straight a nation wide coverage, or will I have roaming when I leave my city while traveling? The $45 for Unlimited price is why I am asking.
Sent from Beyond

urushiol
Old
(Last edited by urushiol; 10th December 2013 at 08:26 PM.) Reason: Adding speed test
Thanks Meter 35
I am currently using my nexus 5 on Straighttalk (ATT sim). I absolutely love it. For my area, it has almost as good of coverage as verizon, and the LTE is on average 4x-7x as fast. My average on verizon was about 4mbps. I am averaging 18-30mbps on ATTs network. I don't know if it was my old phone making verizon so slow here or what. it was an OG droid razr maxx.

Talk, sms, mms, LTE, etc all work great. Just remember, data isn't *really* unlimited on straight talk. I guess actually it is, but after you use 2.5gb, they throttle you way down. Super slow. I am going to used it for a few months, if i end up going over the 2.5gbs much, i am considering trying T mobiles 70 dollar truly unlimited data plan.

Good luck and enjoy your nexus

PS, here is a speed test done on LTE about 5 minutes ago.

Nexus 5 - CM11 nightly

Asus tf300t - Stock rooted 4.2.1

The Following User Says Thank You to urushiol For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jdawg0024
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by urushiol View Post
I am currently using my nexus 5 on Straighttalk (ATT sim). I absolutely love it. For my area, it has almost as good of coverage as verizon, and the LTE is on average 4x-7x as fast. My average on verizon was about 4mbps. I am averaging 18-30mbps on ATTs network. I don't know if it was my old phone making verizon so slow here or what. it was an OG droid razr maxx.

Talk, sms, mms, LTE, etc all work great. Just remember, data isn't *really* unlimited on straight talk. I guess actually it is, but after you use 2.5gb, they throttle you way down. Super slow. I am going to used it for a few months, if i end up going over the 2.5gbs much, i am considering trying T mobiles 70 dollar truly unlimited data plan.

Good luck and enjoy your nexus
How is the Coverage (Not Data) any Dropped Calls? I travel a lot so will I be "roaming" if I leave my "home" city?
Sent from Beyond

urushiol
Old
Thanks Meter 35
Straight talk works a little different than other carriers, it never shows you as "roaming", however you can "roam" in some areas, but not as many as if you had went with ATT or tmobile directly.

But hey, that's the beauty of non contract, if the coverage doesn't work for you, you are not bound by a contract.

For my area, i have experienced 0 dropped calls, i did have 1 spot, 1 time, 1 day that a call *almost* dropped, but it recovered. I have not experienced that again, even in the same spot that the first one almost dropped. Call quality has been as good, or better than verizon(that is compared to my old phone, so that's not apples to apples).
Nexus 5 - CM11 nightly

Asus tf300t - Stock rooted 4.2.1

The Following User Says Thank You to urushiol For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

laestrella
Old
Thanks Meter 18
I switched from sprint after 10 years and I have no regrets. My service is superb. You can always buy a sim card and try it out with a random phone number. Just be aware that if you decide to port your sprint number later you will need a new sim.

I'm using an AT&T sim btw.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

CagedGSR
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I too switched from Sprint to Straight talk, I honestly could not be happier. I ALWAYS have 4g whether it be HSPA+ from 2-8mbps or LTE from 13-30mbps. 0 dropped calls and no issues with anything else. Sometimes MMS takes awhile to get working but I've gotten good APN settings so it takes care of that.