Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,019 Members 51,487 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Question

Tip us?

simms22
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 21,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ View Post
K ... Here's what I THINK I know... Lol

With data off completely.... Calls and texts still work. A great way to save battery destruction in poor reception areas as well.

If LTE is on, and you make a call... Phone automatically switches to GSM, or 4 or 3g. I think that's what I've read.

If the above is true, then you're saying forcing LTE won't allow it to drop out of LTE to make calls. That makes sense.... I think. The trouble I'm having is understanding this..... If you can make calls and texts with data completely disabled.... I guess I'm not getting how being on LTE only can affect calls. Or is kind of like LTE is taking over the radio completely.... So calls and texts don't work. So on auto, LTE shuts itself down to allow you make calls. And of course with data disabled LTE is obviously off, so yes you can make calls and texts.

But with LTE forced on.... It basically hijacks the radio, not allowing voice and I assume Sms.

Have I finally got it? Lol I needs to learn. 😉
before we didnt have the ability to make calls on lte, but now we can, with newer radios, and networks that let us get calls on lte. but the n5 tech is one generation, maybe half a generation, before. now they have both, capabilities and network. but not many, of both. the hsps+/3G tech is much older, and more developed
Google+ Profile
Twitter Simms22
DerKernel For Trinity kernels and more!

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by simms22 View Post
before we didnt have the ability to make calls on lte, but now we can, with newer radios, and networks that let us get calls on lte. but the n5 tech is one generation, maybe half a generation, before. now they have both, capabilities and network. but not many, of both. the hsps+/3G tech is much older, and more developed
You're just trying to confuse me! Lol 💩

As far as the n5 goes... LTE hijacks the radio. So if it's forced on full time ... Calls won't work. So that's a bad thing to do. Best left on auto. Lol 👍

Thanks my friend.

---------- Post added at 11:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 PM ----------

But there's your answer OP . 🍻
Sent from my new HTC One M8, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life? Any device welcome, even tho its an N5 thread. Please specify if on a device other than N5. Lots of info in first 4 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips

The Following User Says Thank You to KJ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ericerk
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 56
Quote:
You're just trying to confuse me! Lol ��

As far as the n5 goes... LTE hijacks the radio. So if it's forced on full time ... Calls won't work. So that's a bad thing to do. Best left on auto. Lol ��

Thanks my friend.

---------- Post added at 11:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 PM ----------

But there's your answer OP . ��
I'm down for auto, how do I keep it at auto, It loves to re designate itself, at random.

This was the reason I dumped my HTC M8 (vzw) for the nexus 5 to make sure I had both.
Click Here!!!

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericerk View Post
I'm down for auto, how do I keep it at auto, It loves to re designate itself, at random.
I can't check exactly for you, I no longer have my N5. But it's in mobile network settings. It should be anyway. I don't recall the options tho.

---------- Post added at 11:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 PM ----------

Or if you mean it doesn't keep on what you set it too.... That's an issue of some sort.

Need help with poor battery life? Any device welcome, even tho its an N5 thread. Please specify if on a device other than N5. Lots of info in first 4 posts! >>>>

ericerk
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 56
Quote:
I can't check exactly for you, I no longer have my N5. But it's in mobile network settings. It should be anyway. I don't recall the options tho.

---------- Post added at 11:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 PM ----------

Or if you mean it doesn't keep on what you set it too.... That's an issue of some sort.
I just got it yesterday from google, it's a refurb, It shouldn't really have issues, not this soon.

Also, I'm on CM, if that helps, I doubt it, but It could be a build error.
Click Here!!!

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericerk View Post
I just got it yesterday from google, it's a refurb, It shouldn't really have issues, not this soon.

Also, I'm on CM, if that helps, I doubt it, but It could be a build error.
Well, in the mobile settings somewhere.... It should have an option for auto that includes LTE.

Just try different ones till you can call out.