Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,111 Members 47,518 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Question on warranty..Help

Tip us?

Lakshya
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Question [Q] Question on warranty..Help

Will I get my warranty back when I unroot my phone after unlocking the boot loader and rooting ..can we relock the boot loader ..i'm new to rooting ..pls help

wideasleep1
Old
Thanks Meter 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakshya View Post
Will I get my warranty back when I unroot my phone after unlocking the boot loader and rooting ..can we relock the boot loader ..i'm new to rooting ..pls help
Yes. You'll also want to 'untamper' it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...1.bootunlocker
B/W Sidekick/Color Sidekick2/TMO MDA/TMO Dash/G1/Nexus 1/Sensation/SGS3/Nexus 4/Nexus 5/LG G3
Rockin Android before it was Cool!
The Following User Says Thank You to wideasleep1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jd1639
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3173
Quote:
That's a philosophical question. Unlocking the bootloader may have voided your warranty. Just because you re-lock it doesn't magically bring with it a new warranty.

Lakshya
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1639 View Post
That's a philosophical question. Unlocking the bootloader may have voided your warranty. Just because you re-lock it doesn't magically bring with it a new warranty.
Not new warranty.. I'm asking can I take my phone back to the lg store for repairs when it is in warranty ?or will they not accept it saying your warranty is void ..I want to put cm11 and that would require both unlocking boot loader rooting the device ..so ..noob here ..help ..thanks

svnoln
Old
Thanks Meter 367
If a bootloader in the forest is unlocked and then relocked, and nobody sees, was it really ever unlocked?

NEXUS 1 EVERVOLV KK444 XPOSED TWRP
NEXUS 5 STOCK KK444 FK XPOSED TWRP

The Following User Says Thank You to svnoln For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

BirchBarlow
Old
Thanks Meter 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by wideasleep1 View Post
Yes. You'll also want to 'untamper' it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...1.bootunlocker
I knew there was script/binary for resetting the tamper flag, but I didn't realize there was an actual app for it. I'm surprised Google allows such an app on the Play Store.

Quote:
Not new warranty.. I'm asking can I take my phone back to the lg store for repairs when it is in warranty ?or will they not accept it saying your warranty is void ..I want to put cm11 and that would require both unlocking boot loader rooting the device ..so ..noob here ..help ..thanks
We can argue semantics all day long. The bottom line is, if you're having a problem with your phone, as long as it's not caused by your third-party modifications, they should honor your warranty. Now should you damage your phone or render it inoperable in the process of modding, they absolutely won't cover that under the warranty, as they shouldn't. This is a risk you take when you choose to mod your phone, so absolutely do your due dilligence and proceed with utmost caution when using third-party modifications.
The Following User Says Thank You to BirchBarlow For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]