[Q] Question on warranty..Help

OP Lakshya

4th January 2014, 09:32 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Surat, Gujarat
Thanks Meter: 1

12 posts
More
Will I get my warranty back when I unroot my phone after unlocking the boot loader and rooting ..can we relock the boot loader ..i'm new to rooting ..pls help
4th January 2014, 09:37 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 505

1,517 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakshya

Will I get my warranty back when I unroot my phone after unlocking the boot loader and rooting ..can we relock the boot loader ..i'm new to rooting ..pls help

Yes. You'll also want to 'untamper' it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...1.bootunlocker
The Following User Says Thank You to wideasleep1 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th January 2014, 04:50 PM   |  #3  
Recognized Contributor
Minnetonka, MN
Thanks Meter: 3,779

10,815 posts
Quote:

That's a philosophical question. Unlocking the bootloader may have voided your warranty. Just because you re-lock it doesn't magically bring with it a new warranty.
5th January 2014, 09:55 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Flag Surat, Gujarat
Thanks Meter: 1

12 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1639

That's a philosophical question. Unlocking the bootloader may have voided your warranty. Just because you re-lock it doesn't magically bring with it a new warranty.

Not new warranty.. I'm asking can I take my phone back to the lg store for repairs when it is in warranty ?or will they not accept it saying your warranty is void ..I want to put cm11 and that would require both unlocking boot loader rooting the device ..so ..noob here ..help ..thanks
5th January 2014, 10:02 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 383

1,739 posts
If a bootloader in the forest is unlocked and then relocked, and nobody sees, was it really ever unlocked?

5th January 2014, 12:07 PM   |  #6  
Flag Philadelphia
Thanks Meter: 126

364 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wideasleep1

Yes. You'll also want to 'untamper' it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...1.bootunlocker

I knew there was script/binary for resetting the tamper flag, but I didn't realize there was an actual app for it. I'm surprised Google allows such an app on the Play Store.

Quote:

Not new warranty.. I'm asking can I take my phone back to the lg store for repairs when it is in warranty ?or will they not accept it saying your warranty is void ..I want to put cm11 and that would require both unlocking boot loader rooting the device ..so ..noob here ..help ..thanks

We can argue semantics all day long. The bottom line is, if you're having a problem with your phone, as long as it's not caused by your third-party modifications, they should honor your warranty. Now should you damage your phone or render it inoperable in the process of modding, they absolutely won't cover that under the warranty, as they shouldn't. This is a risk you take when you choose to mod your phone, so absolutely do your due dilligence and proceed with utmost caution when using third-party modifications.
The Following User Says Thank You to BirchBarlow For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread