Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,743,085 Members 43,968 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Two Questions -- One simple, the other, not so simple

Tip us?

XxbloodxrushxX
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Default [Q] Two Questions -- One simple, the other, not so simple

Hello fellow XDA members. There are two big questions that I have regarding the nexus 5 and custom ROMS and files.

1) Is there a way to get USB OTG support from recovery? If so, which recovery would that be? I'd like to have my ROMS and GAPPS on a USB rather than them taking up significant internal memory.

2.) I've noticed while using a few different ROMS that my nexus will randomly say something referring to a new SIM card being inserted and that the phone needs to reboot. When I click reboot, I wait for the phone to boot completely into the UI and it says that I have no service. This is fixed by enabling/disabling airplane mode. I've also noticed that when that message shows up, if i don't click reboot, the phone will remain on and I don't have to restart the phone, and my network is fine. So my second question is, why is this message popping up? Is there a file I can flash to get rid of this message? How would I go about removing this message?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

littleguevara
Old
Thanks Meter 235
1. TWRP

2. All the instances of this I've seen has been a hardware issue, but maybe someone else will chime in who's dealt with the problem.

XxbloodxrushxX
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Thumbs up I see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleguevara View Post
1. TWRP

2. All the instances of this I've seen has been a hardware issue, but maybe someone else will chime in who's dealt with the problem.
Thanks for the feeedback regarding the USB OTG.
As far as the SIM card goes, I can't see that being a problem because I've been very fragile with this phone and have had it in a case since the day that I got it.

It HAS to be something software related. I was on C-ROM and the error occoured. So I decided to install SlimRom from Original Dev. Much more stable, however the pop up messages persist. I really hope I don't have to restore my phone to complete stock and root again.

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 10115
1. Philz
2. How have you ruled out hardware? Return to stock? That's the only way. Tried other sims?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.

CitizenLee
Old
Thanks Meter 491
1/ You need a kernel that supports mounting external USB. Not all do.

2/ Dunno, sorry!
Main Device: Google Nexus 5
Other Devices: Samsung Galaxy Note 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Samsung Galaxy S2, Motorola Moto G
Retired: HTC Hero, HTC Wildfire S, HTC Desire HD, Samsung Galaxy Note 1
Dropbox | Flickr

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 10115
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenLee View Post
1/ You need a kernel that supports mounting external USB. Not all do.
Recovery doesn't use the same kernel as Android. It has it's own kernel compiled in.

Recovery is compiled with a kernel and even if compiled with the stock Nexus 5 kernel, it will support OTG no problem.
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

CitizenLee
Old
Thanks Meter 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU View Post
Recovery doesn't use the same kernel as Android. It has it's own kernel compiled in.

Recovery is compiled with a kernel and even if compiled with the stock Nexus 5 kernel, it will support OTG no problem.
Every day is a school day, cheers!
Main Device: Google Nexus 5
Other Devices: Samsung Galaxy Note 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Samsung Galaxy S2, Motorola Moto G
Retired: HTC Hero, HTC Wildfire S, HTC Desire HD, Samsung Galaxy Note 1
Dropbox | Flickr

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 10115
hehe You're welcome

Tags
otg, radio, recovery, sim