XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Radio is dumb despite full HSPA signal

Tip us?

markdapimp
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 297
Default Radio is dumb despite full HSPA signal

I'm sitting at home nice good HSPA+ Signal then all of a sudden it just drops the EDGE
my other phone (iPhone is still on HSPA+ no issues) great so I toggle airplane mode on and off boom still edge, so I reboot and boom STILL EDGE
After a while it reconnect to HSPA+ or until it picks up LTE

Does this happen to you? It seems the radio got even crappier with 4.4.2

Im fully stock 100% I have 2 Nexus 5 units in hand one is from T-Mobile one is from play store both experience the same problem
Devices: Nexus 5 (Sold) 1X
Nexus 5
HTC One

aooga
Old
Thanks Meter 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdapimp View Post
I'm sitting at home nice good HSPA+ Signal then all of a sudden it just drops the EDGE
my other phone (iPhone is still on HSPA+ no issues) great so I toggle airplane mode on and off boom still edge, so I reboot and boom STILL EDGE
After a while it reconnect to HSPA+ or until it picks up LTE

Does this happen to you? It seems the radio got even crappier with 4.4.2

Im fully stock 100% I have 2 Nexus 5 units in hand one is from T-Mobile one is from play store both experience the same problem
My N5 has never been on EDGE once. It sometimes looses signal altogether which is a different problem and really needs to be fixed, but mine never goes on EDGE when there is a H+ connection.

markdapimp
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by aooga View Post
My N5 has never been on EDGE once. It sometimes looses signal altogether which is a different problem and really needs to be fixed, but mine never goes on EDGE when there is a H+ connection.
Should I RMA both units?
Nexus 5
HTC One

aooga
Old
Thanks Meter 673
Quote:
Should I RMA both units?
I don't know...what's better to you? Loosing all connection or just going to EDGE? I've had 3 N5's (I kept my original one because they all had the same issue) because it kept dropping signal quite a bit. My "no signal" bar in the battery settings, was consistently above 25% when I know perfectly well there's 5 bars.

I've tried a new sim card as well...I just don't think this phone has a great radio.

markdapimp
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 297
Quote:
I don't know...what's better to you? Loosing all connection or just going to EDGE? I've had 3 N5's (I kept my original one because they all had the same issue) because it kept dropping signal quite a bit. My "no signal" bar in the battery settings, was consistently above 25% when I know perfectly well there's 5 bars.

I've tried a new sim card as well...I just don't think this phone has a great radio.
Was the radio better for you on 4.4?
Nexus 5
HTC One

aooga
Old
Thanks Meter 673
Quote:
Was the radio better for you on 4.4?
Somewhat but not really. I flashed that radio on top of 4.4.2 and didn't see too much of a difference and obviously didn't want to go back to 4.4 (camera) so I just flashed back the 4.4.2 radio and am living with it.

---------- Post added at 11:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 PM ----------

I don't really care too much though...I'll just use my JUMP upgrade and get the HTC 2 (??) when it comes out, then the Nexus 5(2?) or the iPhone 6 later.

markdapimp
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 297
Quote:
Somewhat but not really. I flashed that radio on top of 4.4.2 and didn't see too much of a difference and obviously didn't want to go back to 4.4 (camera) so I just flashed back the 4.4.2 radio and am living with it.

---------- Post added at 11:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 PM ----------

I don't really care too much though...I'll just use my JUMP upgrade and get the HTC 2 (??) when it comes out, then the Nexus 5(2?) or the iPhone 6 later.
I called Google Play and they want me to Factory reset it and if it still persists they will send me a new device. And if it still has issues im selling this PoS Device with a poor radio never again will i purchase a device from LG
Nexus 5
HTC One