Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,615 Members 45,555 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Ram Usage

Tip us?

Huntex
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] Ram Usage

Hi all,

First of all, I did some research, and didn't find anything related to my question (a special issue I'm having I guess).
Second, I know that Android uses as much Ram as possible, and the more ram it uses, the better it is (but that's not my case).

Here's the problem :
It happened last month, and will happen soon again.

With time, Ram consumption increases in my Nexus 5 daily, bit by bit until only <100Mo is free. This leads to the keyboard not opening up for example, because the Ram is full.

Compared to my Nexus 4 (rooted, PA 4.2b4 [even though I don't think it makes any difference]), apps stay active >200 hours (facebook, viber, ebay, Swiftkey etc.), while on N4, Swifkey is active since 22hours ago for example.

I don't really reboot my Nexus 5 (stock, unrooted), maybe this is the issue ?

When it happened a month ago, I uninstalled a game and it fixed it, until now.. Available Ram is roughly 600Mo, and it's shrinking each day.

I hope I didn't forget anything, if you think I did, please do ask.

Thank you for any suggestions (and for reading this, while you're at it.)

simms22
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 20716
rebooting your phone daily, or every couple days, will keep your phone running at its best. if you dont feel like taking the 20-30 seconds to reboot your phone every once in a while, then deal with it.
Google+ Profile
Twitter Simms22
DerKernel For Trinity kernels and more!
The Following User Says Thank You to simms22 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 9996
Yeah I always recommend regular reboots. Also, maybe you have an app that has a memory leak

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Huntex
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by simms22 View Post
rebooting your phone daily, or every couple days, will keep your phone running at its best. if you dont feel like taking the 20-30 seconds to reboot your phone every once in a while, then deal with it.
Nah, nah, sounds like a good compromise. I'd rather reboot the hell out of it than stay keyboardless..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU View Post
Yeah I always recommend regular reboots. Also, maybe you have an app that has a memory leak

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
About memory leaks.. I have no idea, I only have "the basics" installed. I'll do a quick analysis just in case.

Cheers !
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntex For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tadgerloks
Old
Thanks Meter 33
Root man! Unlock the N5's true potential flash a lightweight ROM like slim / carbon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-04-05-17-52-56.png
Views:	54
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	2686338  
Current : Longest Lasting Nexus 5 -100mv all around. Max 2 cores online, @ 1.5ghz
The Following User Says Thank You to tadgerloks For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]