Random Hangups/Dropped Calls on Nexus 4 4.4.2 and now on Nexus 5 4.4.2! HELP!

Search This thread

montrealguy

Oct 2, 2010
Montreal
I was getting random hangups and dropped calls on the Nexus 4 4.4.2. I thought that it was the phone, so I switched to the Nexus 5 but I started getting random hangups again. The phone just hangs up in the middle of a conversation! I'm wondering whether it is:

a) a problem with the Nexus phones in general
b) a problem with Android 4.4.2
c) a problem with the Fido/Rogers network/frequency in my area.

Ideas anyone? I don't think these problems happened when on Jellybean on the Nexus 4.

I also have a jittery bluetooth streaming that disconnects and reconnects constantly, but that is another issue I guess...

Last edited:

cbutt

Jan 13, 2011
Yonkers, NY
This happens to me every so often, but I always thought it was me hanging up on people. I have high cheek bones & if I laugh or whatever, I assumed I was hanging up on people...?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Enddo

Oct 31, 2013
Atlanta, Ga.
www.youtube.com
I was getting random hangups and dropped calls on the Nexus 4 4.4.2. I thought that it was the phone, so I switched to the Nexus 5 but I started getting random hangups again. The phone just hangs up in the middle of a conversation! I'm wondering whether it is:

Ideas anyone? I don't think these problems happened when on Jellybean on the Nexus 4.

I also have a jittery bluetooth streaming that disconnects and reconnects constantly, but that is another issue I guess...

sounds like an issue with your mobile carrier if you're seeing it on two different phones

dreezone

Nov 24, 2008

If you are not using LTE, try to use 3G only mode from settings. I had the same issue and so far its solved

M.Noury

Oct 19, 2007
Jeddah
I think it is related to proximity sensor. I face this issue a lot and I only have 3G.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

MisterRich

May 15, 2013
Anchorage, Alaska
I would agree, if it's occurring on different devices, it sounds like a carrier issue. Wouldn't be a bad idea to consult your wireless carrier for a new microsim for your device since it's the only factor that carried over between the two devices. Should be free I would assume.

stevemw

Apr 1, 2007
Bailey's Crossroads

Sounds like it' your network connectivity, both data and GSM

montrealguy

Oct 2, 2010
Montreal
sounds like an issue with your mobile carrier if you're seeing it on two different phones

This happens to me every so often, but I always thought it was me hanging up on people. I have high cheek bones & if I laugh or whatever, I assumed I was hanging up on people...?

From what I can see, this is a common problem on 4.4.2 and/or the Nexus 4 and 5:

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=63524
http://www.nxtab.co.uk/forum/topic/nexus-5-32gb-call-drops/
http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/1...roblems-plague-nexus-4-nexus-5-nexus-7-users/

and many more if you Google it...

montrealguy

Oct 2, 2010
Montreal
I would agree, if it's occurring on different devices, it sounds like a carrier issue. Wouldn't be a bad idea to consult your wireless carrier for a new microsim for your device since it's the only factor that carried over between the two devices. Should be free I would assume.

Upon reflection, I realize that the dropped calls began with 4.4-4.4.2 on the Nexus 4 and then also on the Nexus 5. I installed a new LTE micro-sim on the Nexus 5 but the dropped calls persisted.

My guess is that it's not the carrier because I was not getting dropped calls on 4.3 on the Nexus 4. It's the software or the phones themselves.