Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,628 Members 40,059 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Can not reboot to recovery

Tip us?

Synyster06Gates
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 99
Default Can not reboot to recovery

I'm trying to flash an update to PAC Rom, but I can't get my phone to reboot to recovery (or even shut down).

When I use the power menu, no matter what I choose, the phone does a hot boot. When I hold power and volume down it will go to bootloader then I can access TWRP, but I can't clear dalvik or cache as it says that it can't mount the partitions. The ROM runs fine however and I can access all my data so the cache can't be corrupt.

What can I do here? Thanks to those who help!
Nexus 5 - AICP
T-Mobile GS3 T999L - Dandroid - GONE
ATT GS3 i-747 - Intergalactic 3.0 - GONE
HTC Inspire 4G - many different ROMs - GONE

Chromium
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5709

DONATE TO ME
Sounds like somethings wrong with your recovery. Get into the bootloader and reflash TWRP using "fastboot flash recovery FileNameOfTWRP.img"
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromium For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Synyster06Gates
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromium View Post
Sounds like somethings wrong with your recovery. Get into the bootloader and reflash TWRP using "fastboot flash recovery FileNameOfTWRP.img"
Would using flashify work here?

It's been a recurring theme on the PAC forum
Nexus 5 - AICP

Chromium
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5709

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synyster06Gates View Post
Would using flashify work here?

It's been a recurring theme on the PAC forum
Yea that should work too, but if not, fastboot is the way to go.

Synyster06Gates
Old
(Last edited by Synyster06Gates; 15th March 2014 at 12:26 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 99
EDIT : Very very strange. Flashing TWRP again via Flashify got it to work. It seems something in PAC Rom is corrupting the recovery. I think if I get this all worked out then I'm going to have to go back to DK until it's all worked out. I wish there was another ROMs with all the same features as these two but got updates (whereas DK doesn't any more) and is stable enough to DD (lots of FC with PAC).

EDIT 2: Just tried to reboot into recovery again. After booting teh ROM just for a few minutes the recovery was corrupted. I can't access internal memory from recovery any more, even if I get it to boot. It doesn't make any sense as the ROM has full access to it all.

To be clear, TWRP says Internal Storage - 0
Nexus 5 - AICP

GUGUITOMTG4
Old
Thanks Meter 201
Quote:
EDIT : Very very strange. Flashing TWRP again via Flashify got it to work. It seems something in PAC Rom is corrupting the recovery. I think if I get this all worked out then I'm going to have to go back to DK until it's all worked out. I wish there was another ROMs with all the same features as these two but got updates (whereas DK doesn't any more) and is stable enough to DD (lots of FC with PAC).

EDIT 2: Just tried to reboot into recovery again. After booting teh ROM just for a few minutes the recovery was corrupted. I can't access internal memory from recovery any more, even if I get it to boot. It doesn't make any sense as the ROM has full access to it all.

To be clear, TWRP says Internal Storage - 0
Here could be the solution. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2513701
Flash the cache.img
if it wont work, will have to flash-all
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -{()}- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The Following User Says Thank You to GUGUITOMTG4 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Synyster06Gates
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by GUGUITOMTG4 View Post
Here could be the solution. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2513701
Flash the cache.img
if it wont work, will have to flash-all
That worked! Thank you!

I actually used to go around the Q&A forum telling people to do just that when they were having issues with wiping on early TWRP versions. Surprised I didn't think to try it. All back on DK now and hunting for a new ROM.
Nexus 5 - AICP

numel007
Old
Thanks Meter 386

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
That worked! Thank you!

I actually used to go around the Q&A forum telling people to do just that when they were having issues with wiping on early TWRP versions. Surprised I didn't think to try it. All back on DK now and hunting for a new ROM.
Sounds like you solved it, but I think you could've also done an adb reboot recovery command. Not sure if that works though since I usually only use fastboot.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Device List: Sanyo Katana < UTStarcom Arc < LG Optimus S < HTC Evo LTE < Nexus 5
Nexus 5: SOKP (Private Build)
Kernel: ElementalX

The Following User Says Thank You to numel007 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Synyster06Gates
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by numel007 View Post
Sounds like you solved it, but I think you could've also done an adb reboot recovery command. Not sure if that works though since I usually only use fastboot.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
After flashing teh recovery again, I could get INTO it, but the data was not showing up so I couldn't actually do anything from within TWRP. It read I had 0mb internal storage.
Nexus 5 - AICP