XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Receive OTA if root?

Tip us?

scaryshark
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 208
Default [Q] Receive OTA if root?

This is my first Nexus device and I'm not sure on how OTA's work exactly, I never received any on my previous phones!

I unlocked the bootloader manually via fastbot oem unlock then flashed CMW via fastboot flash recovery recovery.img then installed the Chainfire SU .zip

I left everything else as stock because I only wanted root for Adblock to stop YouTube ads.

If I leave everything else stock will I still get OTA notifications and if I do, and I decide to install them, will everything work fine?

Thanks.

Also, quick question about the App that lets you double tap to wake. it says it is stock kernel but requires extra modules, how does this effect OTA's?

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 7431
Please use search before posting. Question answered numerous times. Also please read the sticky at the top of this page / forum

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit
Always read the OP's of a thread and the last 2 pages before asking questions, unless there has been an update - in which case, read the last 5 pages!

nexus 5 | SlimKat | ElementalX kernel | Philz Touch Recovery

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.

scaryshark
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 208
Thanks for that. I don't plan on making any more modifications

Can I just reflash the stock recovery.img and uninstall the SU app. Will that make OTA's flash fine?

Ben36
Old
Thanks Meter 1374
Don't worry, when there's an update within a couple of days someone would have made a flashable zip for it

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

krabman
Old
Thanks Meter 124
Couple days? Its been a neck and neck race as to whether I get the roll out in my area or can download a zip from here first. OTA is probably the single biggest non issue I see brought up here.