Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,731 Members 50,353 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Recovering data from a N5 that won't boot

Tip us?

colh
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Recovering data from a N5 that won't boot

Hi,

I'm looking from some advice on whether it's possible to recover data from an N5 that won't boot, but doesn't have custom recovery installed.

My N5 won't boot - it hangs on the google animation. It's still stock from purchase and hasn't had the bootloader unlocked or been rooted. It will enter the stock recovery/fastboot menu.

Have found many posts about this across the web, with people reporting mixed success from full charging, holding down the power button, volume up/dome power button, using the bootloader to enter safe mode. Something in all of that allowed me to restart once but not again.

What I'd really like to do is to get recent photos of it before either having a go at hard resets or RMA'ing it.

Having searched through mostly this site, it looks like any way to do this via ADB requires unlocking the bootloader, which requires wipes internal storage.

Does anyone know of a way to recover data from a device in this situation? Have looked through most of the relevant guides on this site, but all involve wiping internal data at some point.

Of course advice on fixing the phone would be more than welcome! But mostly I just want the last few weeks photos. Wish I'd rooted / unlocked bootloader / switched dropbox autoupload on when I got the phone now!

Thanks!

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 10040
Well locked bootloader, no option to recover

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2534010

[ info] Storage: Nexus 5 Data (info / loss / recovery / prevention)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]