Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,519 Members 39,017 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Recovery without bootloader unlock

Tip us?
 
seaskyways
Old
#1  
seaskyways's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 341
Posts: 535
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: beirut

 
DONATE TO ME
Question [Q] Recovery without bootloader unlock

Hi there, my friend has a Nexus 5 (like me) , and he wanted root so bad , and I tought him to root through Towelroot , however , he didn't unlock his bootloader, he got rooted and he got Xposed module on and running , but now he wants to have S2W which is achievable through flashing a kernel, but he doesn't have a recovery and he's bootloader locked , how can he achieve that SAFELY ?
Phone : Google Nexus 5

Android Version : KitKat 4.4.2

ROM : Stock rocks!

Kernel 3.4.xx !



AMAZING PHONE
 
rootSU
Old
#2  
rootSU's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 10,767
Posts: 21,935
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
1) flash a recovery using an app called flashify
Or
2) unlock the bootloader using an app called bootunlocker

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!



Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
simms22
Old
#3  
simms22's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 21,182
Posts: 25,514
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: BROOKLYN!
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaskyways View Post
Hi there, my friend has a Nexus 5 (like me) , and he wanted root so bad , and I tought him to root through Towelroot , however , he didn't unlock his bootloader, he got rooted and he got Xposed module on and running , but now he wants to have S2W which is achievable through flashing a kernel, but he doesn't have a recovery and he's bootloader locked , how can he achieve that SAFELY ?
as long as he already has root, he can flash a new recovery without unlocking the bootloader. first, grab the recovery you want to flash and put it in the storage of your phone(in a .img form). next, grab the flashify app from the play store. now open the flashify app, chose to flash a recovery, find your recovery in your storage, now chose your recovery and flash it. thats all. now boot into recovery to make sure it flashed.
Google+ Profile
Twitter Simms22
DerKernel For Trinity kernels and more!
 
rootSU
Old
#4  
rootSU's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 10,767
Posts: 21,935
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by simms22 View Post
as long as he already has root, he can flash a new recovery without unlocking the bootloader. first, grab the recovery you want to flash and put it in the storage of your phone(in a .img form). next, grab the flashify app from the play store. now open the flashify app, chose to flash a recovery, find your recovery in your storage, now chose your recovery and flash it. thats all. now boot into recovery to make sure it flashed.
You can download recoveries directly through flashify

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!



Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.
 
simms22
Old
#5  
simms22's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 21,182
Posts: 25,514
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: BROOKLYN!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU View Post
You can download recoveries directly through flashify

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
really?
didnt know that, ive always grabbed them from their official sites. not like it makes a difference, im still on an older twrp, like version 2.6.3.4
Google+ Profile
Twitter Simms22
DerKernel For Trinity kernels and more!
 
rootSU
Old
#6  
rootSU's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 10,767
Posts: 21,935
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Makes no difference for me either. Latest philz always comes from my computer

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!



Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.
 
beekay201
Old
#7  
beekay201's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1,127
Posts: 4,644
Join Date: Nov 2010
if this procedure is being done on a stock rom (OTA updated), don't forget about /system/recovery-from-boot.p and /system/install-recovery.sh. Either rename or delete them.
hammerhead/omni-KTU84P/stock#3.4.0/M8974A-2.0.50.1.13
maguro/aosp-KRT16O/custom#3.0.101/XXLJ1
manta/omni-KTU84P/custom#3.4.39
XDA forum rules here
bug report? logcat and /proc/kmsg, or it "never happened".
How TO Ask questions on the Internet
aosp-maguro READFIRST here (credit: efrant)
aosp-gnex READSECOND here (credit: efrant)

Tags
bootloader locked, kernel, nexus 5, recovery, s2w
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Moto G 4G Receives Official CyanogenMod 11 Love

When theMoto Gwas initially released to the world in November of last year,very few actually … more

Get Your Tasks Organized on Android Wear with Agenda Wear

Having a checklist of things you need to do is something we all can find useful at … more

Top 5 LG G3 MODs – XDA Developer TV

The LG G3 has been LG’s breakout hit of the summer. Using their knowledge frombuilding some … more

Make Your Calendar Widget Beautiful with Month

For some of us, summer vacation is alreadyover. For those getting ready to school, work, or … more