FORUMS

Xiaomi Mi Note Pro With SD-810 Goes On Sale In China

The Xiaomi Mi Note Pro, announced on 15th Jan 2015, is Xiaomi’s attempt at … more

Project Fi Invites Are Rolling Out

Google is now sending out the first wave of invites to its new wireless service, Project Fi. … more

Vinsic 20,000mAh Ultra Slim Power Bank Giveaway

We have covered a lot of Android Accessories here on XDA TV. Mostly because we realize … more

T-Mobile Steps Up The War Against Verizon

T-Mobile has today launched a new attack on Verizon under the tagline of “Never Settle … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

[Q] Recovery without bootloader unlock

10th July 2014, 09:54 PM |#1  
OP Senior Member
Flag beirut
Thanks Meter: 341

Donate to Me
More
Hi there, my friend has a Nexus 5 (like me) , and he wanted root so bad , and I tought him to root through Towelroot , however , he didn't unlock his bootloader, he got rooted and he got Xposed module on and running , but now he wants to have S2W which is achievable through flashing a kernel, but he doesn't have a recovery and he's bootloader locked , how can he achieve that SAFELY ?

10th July 2014, 09:58 PM |#2  
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 17,124

More
1) flash a recovery using an app called flashify
Or
2) unlock the bootloader using an app called bootunlocker

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th July 2014, 09:58 PM |#3  
Recognized Contributor
BROOKLYN!
Thanks Meter: 24,036

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaskyways

Hi there, my friend has a Nexus 5 (like me) , and he wanted root so bad , and I tought him to root through Towelroot , however , he didn't unlock his bootloader, he got rooted and he got Xposed module on and running , but now he wants to have S2W which is achievable through flashing a kernel, but he doesn't have a recovery and he's bootloader locked , how can he achieve that SAFELY ?

as long as he already has root, he can flash a new recovery without unlocking the bootloader. first, grab the recovery you want to flash and put it in the storage of your phone(in a .img form). next, grab the flashify app from the play store. now open the flashify app, chose to flash a recovery, find your recovery in your storage, now chose your recovery and flash it. thats all. now boot into recovery to make sure it flashed.
10th July 2014, 09:59 PM |#4  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by simms22

as long as he already has root, he can flash a new recovery without unlocking the bootloader. first, grab the recovery you want to flash and put it in the storage of your phone(in a .img form). next, grab the flashify app from the play store. now open the flashify app, chose to flash a recovery, find your recovery in your storage, now chose your recovery and flash it. thats all. now boot into recovery to make sure it flashed.

You can download recoveries directly through flashify

10th July 2014, 10:09 PM |#5  
Recognized Contributor
BROOKLYN!
Thanks Meter: 24,036

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU

You can download recoveries directly through flashify

really?
didnt know that, ive always grabbed them from their official sites. not like it makes a difference, im still on an older twrp, like version 2.6.3.4
10th July 2014, 10:10 PM |#6  

More
Makes no difference for me either. Latest philz always comes from my computer

11th July 2014, 12:22 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 1,183

More
if this procedure is being done on a stock rom (OTA updated), don't forget about /system/recovery-from-boot.p and /system/install-recovery.sh. Either rename or delete them.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
bootloader locked, kernel, nexus 5, recovery, s2w
Previous Thread Next Thread