Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,814,562 Members 53,800 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Recovery Mode Wipe data/factory reset loops after a while. What to do?

Tip us?

johnajen
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Recovery Mode Wipe data/factory reset loops after a while. What to do?

I experienced the infamous boot loop problem on my Nexus 5. I'm running stock android, and it started after the battery was depleted overnight - and after I recharged the phone.

First I tried to to just clear the cache in Recovery Mode. It went into a long loop where every other second a flash would appear on screen with the 'No Command' screen. I decided to abort that after 30 minutes and try a Wipe data/factory reset in recovery mode.

It seems to work fine in the beginning, but after a while it begins with the same loop, where it occasionally shows the 'No Command' screen.

Seems like there is broken hardware - or do you have any ideas what the reason may be and how to amend it?

Rip95
Old
(Last edited by Rip95; 2nd August 2014 at 05:09 PM.)
Thanks Meter 3
Try to reflash all stuff with google factory images and check if your problems still exist.
Google Nexus 5 16Gb

ROM: Slimkat 4.4.4 MinuxBuild F2FS
Kernel: UBER Kernel Linaro 4.10

vin4yak
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,180

DONATE TO ME
What do you mean by "It seems to work fine in the beginning"? You're able to boot into the OS? Could be a faulty/broken power button which might be causing the bootloop as well.

Anyways, as mentioned above, flash the factory images to rule out the possibility of a software issue.

Волк
Old
Thanks Meter 535

DONATE TO ME
I would recommend unlocking your bootloader, flashing a custom recovery, doing a wipe with that and then flashing a stock nandroid.
If you aren't good with adb, and you don't have an OTG cable, I would look into how to flash the factory images from Google first, then once you're all set with that do the above.
Remember guys: Волк = Volk (Google it for a translation)

Devices: G2x (sold), Nexus 7 32GB Wifi (bricked), Nexus 5

G2x AIO wipe tool 20 November, made with AROMA and includes AROMA File manager!

G2x AIO

New 29 Sept
AIO wipe tool O2x version

6 October
AIO wipe tool G2/DZ version

[Nexus 5 version available via pm, though haven't seen a need for it with this phone]

johnajen
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Red face Thanks

Thanks guys. I decided that I would invoke my warrany from Google and get a new phone.

I hope someone else benefits from your suggestions, I would have if I didn't have my warranty...