Reliably set up Phablet UI by changing SystemUI dpi

Search This thread

the7thson

Sep 20, 2008
Denver, CO
Hey guys,

I'm using an LCD density of 360 on my Nexus 5 by ending the build.prop, this feels comfortable for my use and I'd like to keep it that way. BUT I sorely miss not having phablet ui. Is there a setting I need to be using to change my SystemUI to a particular dpi to switch everything to Phablet UI while still keeping the overall LCD density to 360? I'm using the "App Settings" module in Xposed and have tried just about everything but can't get the Phablet UI to engage. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

ranasrule

Feb 25, 2007
Lahore
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Hey guys,

I'm using an LCD density of 360 on my Nexus 5 by ending the build.prop, this feels comfortable for my use and I'd like to keep it that way. BUT I sorely miss not having phablet ui. Is there a setting I need to be using to change my SystemUI to a particular dpi to switch everything to Phablet UI while still keeping the overall LCD density to 360? I'm using the "App Settings" module in Xposed and have tried just about everything but can't get the Phablet UI to engage. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

i want to do this too...anyone willing to help ?:eek:

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
i want to do this too...anyone willing to help ?:eek:

There are 2 things we need to discuss.

1) System UI layout change to Tablet mode or Phablet mode UI. This changes the layout of the Nav Bar, Status bar and Notification area. Google removed this function. There is no way to get it back.

2) Triggered Tablet layout of specific apps. Developers of apps may wish to change the layout of their apps for a tablet. More screen real estate can mean there are better layouts than used for the phone. The only reliable trigger that a developer can use is dpi.

The bigger screen at the same resolution will have a lower dpi than a smaller screen at the same resolution. We can trigger tablet layout in apps by forcing the dpi down system wide using the build.prop. However, different developers will be triggered by different dpi's meaning you may need a dpi so low you cant see it on your small screen before some apps trigger.

You can use the Xposed module named "app settings" to actually change the layout of individual apps to tablet layout. So for example, you can set Chrome to be tablet layout without changing the dpi of the system or tha app itself. That's the only option though. Not all apps have a tablet mode.

ranasrule

Feb 25, 2007
Lahore
Google Pixel 7 Pro
There are 2 things we need to discuss.

1) System UI layout change to Tablet mode or Phablet mode UI. This changes the layout of the Nav Bar, Status bar and Notification area. Google removed this function. There is no way to get it back.

2) Triggered Tablet layout of specific apps. Developers of apps may wish to change the layout of their apps for a tablet. More screen real estate can mean there are better layouts than used for the phone. The only reliable trigger that a developer can use is dpi.

The bigger screen at the same resolution will have a lower dpi than a smaller screen at the same resolution. We can trigger tablet layout in apps by forcing the dpi down system wide using the build.prop. However, different developers will be triggered by different dpi's meaning you may need a dpi so low you cant see it on your small screen before some apps trigger.

You can use the Xposed module named "app settings" to actually change the layout of individual apps to tablet layout. So for example, you can set Chrome to be tablet layout without changing the dpi of the system or tha app itself. That's the only option though. Not all apps have a tablet mode.

Thanks for the reply but the request is for Phablet UI...kind of something like this atleast >>> http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=50945366&postcount=750

as far as my Info goes tablet UI is not longer available but Phablet is possible

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK

the7thson

Sep 20, 2008
Denver, CO
For phablet ui, read point 1.

That screenshot is not phablet ui. Its just a lower dpi.

To lower dpi, either do it system wide using build prop or with xposed module "app settings", set dpi for systemui lower. Say maybe 300.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I thought Google only removed TableUI, but PhabletUI still exists. I could be wrong though.