XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

can't remount /system as rw

Tip us?

DryEagle
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Default can't remount /system as rw

I think I'm starting to go slightly insane here.
Can't for the life of me mount /system as rw, it's only ro.
Ways I've tried:
- using mount command in terminal emulator
- using rw remount button in total commander
- using adb shell to do the same thhing as terminal emulator
i have supersu and all of the above were granted superuser but still no luck

here's relevant part of console output, but it doesn't do anything.

Code:
D:\Downloads\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20131030\sdk\platform-tools>adb shell

shell@hammerhead:/ $ su

su

root@hammerhead:/ # mount

mount

/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/system /system ext4 ro,seclabel,relatime,data=ordered 0 0

root@hammerhead:/ # mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/system /system
the directory stays read-only.

the whole reason i'm trying to do this is so i can stick in a boot animation (link) into system/media ...is there an easier way? i've tried 3 different file explorers with super but they all fail because it's not rw.....

and adb cant push to it either because it's rw.......

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 7395
mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mmcblk0p25 /system

Or put it in /data/local

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit
Always read the OP's of a thread and the last 2 pages before asking questions, unless there has been an update - in which case, read the last 5 pages!

nexus 5 | SlimKat | ElementalX kernel | Philz Touch Recovery

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.

DryEagle
Old
(Last edited by DryEagle; 5th December 2013 at 07:28 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU View Post
mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mmcblk0p25 /system

Or put it in /data/local
well after trying some more (the terminal command still didnt want to do anything) i managed to get antek explorer to mount it as rw and was able to copy in the new bootanimation.zip
except that now it's unreadable file-
as in, if i try to open the zip in /system/media it just says cannot read file, if i copy it back out to a different folder it opens fine again.
and the boot animation itself, well, it just plays a tiny one with the word 'android' across it, which i guess is the default if it cant find one.
putting the file into /data/local doesn't change anything (doesnt overwrite the nexus one, doesnt overwrite the little word android)

since i'm new to all this stuff i can think probably i missing something simple, but do i have to somehow initialise new bootanimation or something? its the right file in the right place, dont know why it dont work.......

edit: here's an imgur album showing this stuff, maybe you can spot something there? http://imgur.com/a/l9sXa
edit2: just to test, i installed https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....bootanimation and it did indeed change the animation. so it's just a problem with doing it manually. unfortunately that app doesn't let you load in a custom one, only the preinstalled ones, so it's not much use to me overall...

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 7395
Quote:
Originally Posted by DryEagle View Post
well after trying some more (the terminal command still didnt want to do anything) i managed to get antek explorer to mount it as rw and was able to copy in the new bootanimation.zip
except that now it's unreadable file-
as in, if i try to open the zip in /system/media it just says cannot read file, if i copy it back out to a different folder it opens fine again.
and the boot animation itself, well, it just plays a tiny one with the word 'android' across it, which i guess is the default if it cant find one.
putting the file into /data/local doesn't change anything (doesnt overwrite the nexus one, doesnt overwrite the little word android)

since i'm new to all this stuff i can think probably i missing something simple, but do i have to somehow initialise new bootanimation or something? its the right file in the right place, dont know why it dont work.......

edit: here's an imgur album showing this stuff, maybe you can spot something there? http://imgur.com/a/l9sXa
edit2: just to test, i installed https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....bootanimation and it did indeed change the animation. so it's just a problem with doing it manually. unfortunately that app doesn't let you load in a custom one, only the preinstalled ones, so it's not much use to me overall...

hint, look at the bootanimation.zip file permissions once you moved it to /system/media
Always read the OP's of a thread and the last 2 pages before asking questions, unless there has been an update - in which case, read the last 5 pages!

The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DryEagle
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU View Post
hint, look at the bootanimation.zip file permissions once you moved it to /system/media
thank you!! this solved it!

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 7395
No worries

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit