Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,667 Members 49,321 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

High resale price - why?

Tip us?

nigelhealy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by divinewisdom View Post
Maybe its the rumors this is the last nexus.

Plus good luck to those waiting for the pluseOne it sounds good on paper but who knows if they will ever get to the point of mass production.
Thread-i-quette needs one obvious Nexus 5 vs OneplusOne thread but I've seen 3 of them so I'm going to bust the moderators.

Right, the OnePlusOne is not in bulk now but over in their forums they suggest bulk shipping in June, so let's say that's end-June so just over a month off. I reckon right now it is just building a "I must have one" frenzy to stop people buying other handsets because they'll need to shift stock very quickly as their low margins. I asked in forums for price and its $349 + $10-$20 postage so call that $370 delivered.

I place these phones similar in that they are similar price, they have the same amount of pixels, the cpu is similar enough without overclocking delta BUT you're trading bigger phone for bigger battery (which must power a bigger screen) and better camera but oddly not wireless charging which I use a lot sat at my desk and I pick up the phone when I want to talk.
Nexus 5 stock 4.4.4 +ElementalX, Nexus 7 2013 stock 4.4.4 +ElementalX, Nexus 10 Stock 4.4.4 + Franco

mentalcase
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelhealy View Post
Thread-i-quette needs one obvious Nexus 5 vs OneplusOne thread but I've seen 3 of them so I'm going to bust the moderators.

Right, the OnePlusOne is not in bulk now but over in their forums they suggest bulk shipping in June, so let's say that's end-June so just over a month off. I reckon right now it is just building a "I must have one" frenzy to stop people buying other handsets because they'll need to shift stock very quickly as their low margins. I asked in forums for price and its $349 + $10-$20 postage so call that $370 delivered.

I place these phones similar in that they are similar price, they have the same amount of pixels, the cpu is similar enough without overclocking delta BUT you're trading bigger phone for bigger battery (which must power a bigger screen) and better camera but oddly not wireless charging which I use a lot sat at my desk and I pick up the phone when I want to talk.
Consider me one of the Americans who just bought a Used Nexus 5 for $300. Why did I do it? The screen on my g2 broke over the weekend and I just needed something cheap to tide me over until the OPO or the g3 is released. For $300 I got a mint 16gb nexus with a wireless charger and saved nearly $90. The play store charges shipping and taxes.

Also, resale is quite easy and the phone holds it's value as you noticed. So In a month or two I can unload this Nexus for at the very least $280 and put it towards a newer device.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mentalcase For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

howard bamber
Old
Thanks Meter 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU View Post
90% is cheaper than 100%. Not everyone is as fortunate as you to be able to pay 100%

"but it's only $35"

Someone could feed themselves for a week on that. Don't make the mistake of confusing being frugal with being dumb, or that everyone is the same as you

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
I'm one such person. I had cancer lost my savings. 15%off meant I could have a great phone and eat.

From the wonders of mobile telephony.
The Following User Says Thank You to howard bamber For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

wedgess
Old
Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 13212

DONATE TO ME
I think this thread has run its course. People are going to have their own reasons as to why they went with a used device over a new one. We could fill up this thread with all different reasons. As for comparison threads (I saw you mention a Nexus 5 -v- OnePlusOne), they are something we do not allow around here it usually causes unneeded and unwanted bickering from fan-boys and the likes. Thanks for your input..

Thread closed
--wedgess
Forum Moderator

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wedgess For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe