Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,803,273 Members 44,420 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

restore from backup

Tip us?
 
schneidz
Old
#1  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 42
Join Date: Dec 2011
Default restore from backup

hi, my wife broke her nexus 5 (cracked screen) so I bought her a new one. I would like to take the backup from the old (which has CyanogenMod) and restore to the new.
 
jaj473
Old
#2  
jaj473's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 73
Posts: 100
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Vijayawada
Quote:
Originally Posted by schneidz View Post
hi, my wife broke her nexus 5 (cracked screen) so I bought her a new one. I would like to take the backup from the old (which has CyanogenMod) and restore to the new.
I think that cannot be done..
If the old phone is rooted, try taking titanium backup of the apps required and try restoring them in the new one...
it worked for me when i restored whats app backup from my xperia to nexus 7(2012)
 
vin4yak
Old
#3  
vin4yak's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,178
Posts: 3,703
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mumbai

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by schneidz View Post
hi, my wife broke her nexus 5 (cracked screen) so I bought her a new one. I would like to take the backup from the old (which has CyanogenMod) and restore to the new.
If the new phone which you bough is also a nexus 5 then yeah. You can restore the old phone's backup. Just make sure you don't restore the EFS as it's unique to each phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to vin4yak For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
schneidz
Old
#4  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 42
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by vin4yak View Post
If the new phone which you bough is also a nexus 5 then yeah. You can restore the old phone's backup. Just make sure you don't restore the EFS as it's unique to each phone.
yeah both fones are nexus 5's. I can't figure what file/s to drag and drop to my pc ? I think the terminology is that I used clock work mod to create a nandroid backup.
 
vin4yak
Old
#5  
vin4yak's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,178
Posts: 3,703
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mumbai

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by schneidz View Post
yeah both fones are nexus 5's. I can't figure what file/s to drag and drop to my pc ? I think the terminology is that I used clock work mod to create a nandroid backup.
Don't copy individual files. Copy the whole folder which is present inside /clockworkmod/ and transfer it to the new Nexus 5's /clockworkmod/.

Once it's done, you can restore the backup on the new nexus 5.

JUST MAKE SURE YOU DON'T RESTORE EFS!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vin4yak For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
KJ
Old
#6  
KJ's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,491
Posts: 8,376
Join Date: May 2011
Location: The boonies - southwest Ontario
And don't restore EFS.

But seriously.... Don't....unless you wanna phone shop.
Sent from my new HTC One M8, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life? Any device welcome, even tho its an N5 thread. Please specify if on a device other than N5. Lots of info in first 4 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips

 
schneidz
Old
#7  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 42
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by vin4yak View Post
Don't copy individual files. Copy the whole folder which is present inside /clockworkmod/ and transfer it to the new Nexus 5's /clockworkmod/.

Once it's done, you can restore the backup on the new nexus 5.

JUST MAKE SURE YOU DON'T RESTORE EFS!
I an using fedora. after a few hours of searching I came across this directory on my tablet.
Code:
u0_a42@grouper:/storage/emulated/legacy/0/clockworkmod/backup/2014-03-17.18.31.06 $ ll
-rwxrwxr-x root     sdcard_rw  8388608 2014-03-17 14:31 boot.img
-rwxrwxr-x root     sdcard_rw      378 2014-03-17 14:33 cache.ext4.dup
-rwxrwxr-x root     sdcard_rw   328137 2014-03-17 14:33 data.ext4.dup
-rwxrwxr-x root     sdcard_rw      237 2014-03-17 14:33 nandroid.md5
-rwxrwxr-x root     sdcard_rw 12582912 2014-03-17 14:31 recovery.img
-rwxrwxr-x root     sdcard_rw   134239 2014-03-17 14:32 system.ext4.dup
still not sure I understand since I don't see any file named *.efs.
 
KJ
Old
#8  
KJ's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,491
Posts: 8,376
Join Date: May 2011
Location: The boonies - southwest Ontario
EFS is a partition, not a file.
Sent from my new HTC One M8, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life? Any device welcome, even tho its an N5 thread. Please specify if on a device other than N5. Lots of info in first 4 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes