[Q] Restore nandroid backup

OP sambo940

29th August 2014, 02:58 PM   |  #11  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

6 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1639

The pictures are gone. A nandroid doesn't back those up or anything on the internal sdcard

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

Well that certainly is a bummer, and also very misleading from the nexus toolkit. From now on I shall back-up my phone more properly and well stop using those darn toolkits,

Thank you for your time.
29th August 2014, 03:17 PM   |  #12  
Recognized Contributor
Minnetonka, MN
Thanks Meter: 3,791

10,859 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo940

Well that certainly is a bummer, and also very misleading from the nexus toolkit. From now on I shall back-up my phone more properly and well stop using those darn toolkits,

Thank you for your time.

Did you make an adb backup in the tool kit? That would have your pics. But a flashable nandroid you flash in recovery would not.

29th August 2014, 03:22 PM   |  #13  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 611

1,407 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo940

I made a clean start yes. Unfortunately I don't have a titanium backup and I get that storing the data partition to a other device isn't a good idea. But well I never had the intention of making a back up and restoring it to another device but unfortunately my other phone got completely bricked. And yes in hindsight I should have made backups in multiple ways.

But like I said I don't really care about the system(including the apps and app settings) it is literally all about the actual data (pictures and stuff), that is also the reason why I asked if there is a way to manually read/open the back-up files.

Would Nandroid Manager be what you're looking for? EDIT: as above, it won't find and restore any of your pictures/music, as a nandroid backup does not include any of these. There is a chance you find and restore your apps and settings if you so wish. I've used that app before.

Incidentally, I successfully transferred all of my data and ROM from one Nexus 5 to another (had to RMA)

The process I used is:

- Unlock bootloader, install custom recovery on new N5
- Nandroid backup on old N5
- Copy whole /sdcard partition from old to new N5. Basically, all files and folders on the 'root' of the drive when connected to PC. This included all photos, music and the nandroid backup itself.
- Restore nandroid backup on new N5 (only /system, /data and boot.img / kernel), as if you were restoring any nandroid backup really. Though do not restore efs partition as advised above (it wasn't backed up, but worth mentioning again anyway).

Took a while, but the ROM and settings were carried over successfully.
Last edited by eddiehk6; 29th August 2014 at 03:26 PM.
29th August 2014, 04:06 PM   |  #14  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

6 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1639

Did you make an adb backup in the tool kit? That would have your pics. But a flashable nandroid you flash in recovery would not.

Nope, I did not. And the ignorant person that I am just assumed that the nandroid backup would back up everything since the toolkit says "Make full Backups"
So well I guess I just have to accept the fact that I lost those things

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehk6

Would Nandroid Manager be what you're looking for? EDIT: as above, it won't find and restore any of your pictures/music, as a nandroid backup does not include any of these. There is a chance you find and restore your apps and settings if you so wish. I've used that app before.

Incidentally, I successfully transferred all of my data and ROM from one Nexus 5 to another (had to RMA)

The process I used is:

- Copy whole /sdcard partition from old to new N5. Basically, all files and folders on the 'root' of the drive when connected to PC. This included all photos, music and the nandroid backup itself.
- Restore nandroid backup on new N5 (only /system, /data and boot.img / kernel), as if you were restoring any nandroid backup really. Though do not restore efs partition as advised above (it wasn't backed up, but worth mentioning again anyway).

Not exactly what I was looking but I'll keep it in the back of my head in case something similar might happen in the future(lets hope not) Thanks.
31st August 2014, 02:32 PM   |  #15  
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 13,470

24,571 posts
More
Install Foldersync and set your sdcard to sync to a computer wirelessly

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th September 2014, 07:15 PM   |  #16  
Thanks Meter: 8

66 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehk6

The process I used is:

I am assuming that you used a tool like Android File Transfer.

So what I'm trying to do is the same thing, backup my entire old N5 32GB as I had also requested an RMA of the device. Is it accurate in stating that you want me to copy every folder that shows up on the AFT window (Note: I am using a MAC) and copy that onto a folder on my computer. Then copy over everything on the new device (bootloader unlocked, rooted, same TWRP version installed) and restore via the Nandroid backup from my old phone (which was also transferred as indicated above).
10th September 2014, 07:07 PM   |  #17  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 611

1,407 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcxgod

I am assuming that you used a tool like Android File Transfer.

So what I'm trying to do is the same thing, backup my entire old N5 32GB as I had also requested an RMA of the device. Is it accurate in stating that you want me to copy every folder that shows up on the AFT window (Note: I am using a MAC) and copy that onto a folder on my computer. Then copy over everything on the new device (bootloader unlocked, rooted, same TWRP version installed) and restore via the Nandroid backup from my old phone (which was also transferred as indicated above).

I didn't use AFT, just plugged straight into PC, sorry no experience with Mac

Basically both phones were connected, and I copied the whole "/sdcard" straight from one phone to another, without making an initial copy to the PC

You want to replicate the same file structure

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread