Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Restrict Data Roaming International?

OP termat

31st January 2014, 12:14 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

6 posts
Hey all! I've tried googling/searching XDA, but I must have my terms wrong or no one is talking about it.

Question: Is there a way to restrict which mobile networks my phone will connect to?

Device: Google Nexus 5 32gb, Stock Rom/Kernel with Root access

I'm switching to a T-Mobile Simple Choice plan with free 2g data in 100 countries, and going on a cruise shortly after. A couple of the ports of call are on the list, while others are not on the list. It sure would be nice to just leave my phone on and have it only connect to the free networks. I contracted T-Mobile and was pointed to a document letting me know that I will be notified if charges are incurred, but I'd rather not get charged at all. This I could solve manually by carrying the list of countries with me and only turning off airplane when I am there, but that does seem like a pain to me.

The other problem, cruise ships have cell networks onboard now. These networks are charged as international and not included in the Simple Choice deal. Even if I am in port, I am concerned I may still connect to this netowork. I imagine there is an app I could use to at least see which network I am on (I can't find it indicated in Settings anywhere - probably blind), but I would need to prevent my phone from roaming onto that network when both are in range.

I'd really appreciate any thoughts/suggestions. The only thing I can think of is some kind of custom block that would like me restrict network connections. All way over my head.

Thanks again

Matt
31st January 2014, 12:24 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Minnetonka, MN
Thanks Meter: 3,942

11,284 posts
You're going to have to manually select them. I'd turn data roaming off until you get some where you know you can turn it on. Also, most port of calls have Wi-Fi and I'd use that where you can. You can often even get it on the ship at a port, although you might have to find the right location on the ship where you can do that.
31st January 2014, 12:31 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

6 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1639

You're going to have to manually select them. I'd turn data roaming off until you get some where you know you can turn it on. Also, most port of calls have Wi-Fi and I'd use that where you can. You can often even get it on the ship at a port, although you might have to find the right location on the ship where you can do that.

Thanks for the tip about Wi-Fi networks. Absolutely. Unfortunately, I'm not even sure how to manually select the network to which my phone connects. Any advice on where/how to select that?

Matt
31st January 2014, 12:40 AM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Minnetonka, MN
Thanks Meter: 3,942

11,284 posts
Settings, Wireless and network, more, mobile networks, network operators
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread