XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Returning Sprint N5 Going PrePaid

Tip us?

skusa93
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 167
Default Returning Sprint N5 Going PrePaid

As the title suggests I'm going to return the Sprint N5 I just got and go with a prepaid plan. My area suffers from the older tower hardware issue so my phone hasn't gotten LTE since I got it even though I have been in definite coverage areas.

So I ordered a new N5 32GB today and am going to pick up a sim this week to play with. I looked into the T-Mobile $30 plan but the 100 minutes is really low and although I get good coverage in San Francisco on TMo I'm not sure how the coverage is around my parent's place (more rural area) Because of the TMo limitations I am leaning towards going with Straight Talk.

Anything I need to know or maybe another service I should consider?

I was thinking I could port my number into GVoice while I figure this whole thing out. That way I don't have to deal with porting into prepaid multiple times. Anyone done this before?

Thanks for any help

Current Phone: N5

maxpower7
Old
Thanks Meter 522
I'll probably go with Straight Talk if Sprint service in my area doesn't improve really soon.

Side comment - you probably could have just kept the same phone and swapped the sim card. There's no such thing as a "Sprint Nexus 5" - the same model is compatible with all US carriers except for Verizon.

aooga
Old
Thanks Meter 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by skusa93 View Post
As the title suggests I'm going to return the Sprint N5 I just got and go with a prepaid plan. My area suffers from the older tower hardware issue so my phone hasn't gotten LTE since I got it even though I have been in definite coverage areas.

So I ordered a new N5 32GB today and am going to pick up a sim this week to play with. I looked into the T-Mobile $30 plan but the 100 minutes is really low and although I get good coverage in San Francisco on TMo I'm not sure how the coverage is around my parent's place (more rural area) Because of the TMo limitations I am leaning towards going with Straight Talk.

I was thinking I could port my number into GVoice while I figure this whole thing out. That way I don't have to deal with porting into prepaid multiple times. Anyone done this before?

Thanks for any help
What rural area? I can probably let you know.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

skusa93
Old
(Last edited by skusa93; 30th December 2013 at 05:45 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower7 View Post
I'll probably go with Straight Talk if Sprint service in my area doesn't improve really soon.

Side comment - you probably could have just kept the same phone and swapped the sim card. There's no such thing as a "Sprint Nexus 5" - the same model is compatible with all US carriers except for Verizon.
Yea I bought the Sprint phone on contract though and would have had to pay an ETF to keep it and this way I could get a 32GB instead of a 16GB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aooga View Post
What rural area? I can probably let you know.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
They live near Folsom lake on the south side.

I activated a sim with the $30 TMo plan tonight then did the *#*#4636 code and forced it into "LTE Only" Went on a drive and it held onto LTE much better than I would have expected. Speeds weren't crazy (8-30Mbps down) but respectable considering the area.

Gonna give this sim to my Dad and get him an HTC One for the wifi calling then try out Straight Talk in a week or so when my N5 shows up.

Not sure what to do about the GVoice number though, I'm gonna see if I can call them tomorrow. Really don't want to lose this number due to something stupid.

Current Phone: N5

pboggini
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I'm visiting in-laws in folsom right now and have good LTE coverage and around 25 Mb/s download. I've generally found this area to be good in the last year or so with the improvements. We are near the high school.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

markdapimp
Old
Thanks Meter 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by skusa93 View Post

Thanks for any help
http://www.t-mobile.com/coverage.html

Check coverage in here, its pretty accurate mine says good i can connect usually outdoors and some buildings. (100% correct)
refer to the color coded map legend then hover your mouse over the colors at the bottom that corresponds to yours
Devices: Nexus 5 (Sold) 1X
Nexus 5
HTC One