Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,274 Members 38,643 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Root without custom recovery?

Tip us?

Giolte_
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Default Root without custom recovery?

Can I root the Nexus without unlock the bootloader and install a custom recovery?
I was thinking to only boot the TWRP and flash SuperSU but the botloader must be unlocked... so there is a way to root without unlock bootloader and install a custom recovery?

_MetalHead_
Old
Thanks Meter 2,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giolte_ View Post
Can I root the Nexus without unlock the bootloader and install a custom recovery?
I was thinking to only boot the TWRP and flash SuperSU but the botloader must be unlocked... so there is a way to root without unlock bootloader and install a custom recovery?
Out of curiosity, why don't you want to unlock your bootloader?
\m/(-_-)\m/

jd1639
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,324
Quote:
Yes there is. You can root with towelroot then use twrp manager

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

Giolte_
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by _MetalHead_ View Post
Out of curiosity, why don't you want to unlock your bootloader?
The temper flag, if I unlock and lock again the tamper flag will be true and I'll have to reset it in case of problems like eMMC, and in many cases the user can't reset it, so I can't claim LG warranty..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1639 View Post

Mmm... I heard many bad stories about Towelroot and TWRP Manager... this is the only alternative way?

jd1639
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,324
Quote:
The temper flag, if I unlock and lock again the tamper flag will be true and I'll have to reset it in case of problems like eMMC, and in many cases the user can't reset it, so I can't claim LG warranty..

Mmm... I heard many bad stories about Towelroot and TWRP Manager... this is the only alternative way?
Only way without unlocking the boot loader. You can also use bootunlocker from the play store to reset the tamper flag if you're rooted.

The Following User Says Thank You to jd1639 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

GR0S
Old
Thanks Meter 132
Quote:

Unlock, root, relock, untamper?
The Following User Says Thank You to GR0S For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Giolte_
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Mmm.. understood, thanks, I think that I'm gonna unlock and untamp, hoping that everything will be ok.. I'm losing hopes with modding
Anyway, thanks you all.

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 11,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1639 View Post

Or flashify if you want to use other recoveries
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

**Sticky Roll-up: All Guides snd Info Threads linked here**

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]