Ask a question

No registration required

Root without losing data

OP dbldown768

13th June 2014, 02:07 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 7

255 posts
Never having rooted my phone before and on stock 4.4.3, is there any way to root without losing my data?

I saw a thread in this forum pointing to an app that allows you to lock and unlock the boot loader for after root to protect your device. Suggests that since it doesn't use fastboot your data stays in place.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
13th June 2014, 02:12 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 2,453

4,239 posts
More
Yes, there is an app by which you can lock/unlock the bootloader without losing any data but to use the app, you need root privileges.
The first time you unlock the bootloader via fastboot, you will loose all your data. It can't be helped. Once you're rooted, you can use this app to lock/unlock the bootloader or even reset the tamper flag as many times as you want to: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...1.bootunlocker

Since you're fully stock, you can use Helium to backup your apps and copy other contents like app data, media blah blah to the computer by copy pasting.
The Following User Says Thank You to vin4yak For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th June 2014, 02:34 PM   |  #3  
Flag Somewhere quiet.
Thanks Meter: 2,479

4,081 posts
More
Use Helium to backup app data, backup your internal storage to a computer, unlock bootloader, flash custom recovery, flash SuperSU, restore with Helium.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lethargy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th June 2014, 05:41 PM   |  #4  
Flag new york city
Thanks Meter: 81

661 posts
More
Just plug it in to your computer and take off photos/videos of the device and then root it I rooted my nexus 5 10 minutes after I got it so I didn't have to worry about but sometimes you just don't have time to root a device or can't risk messing it up which it should never mess up if you follow directions

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to spinninbsod For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th June 2014, 02:10 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 7

255 posts
Thanks for all the responses. I guess the only app I need to backup and be able to restore is 'good for enterprise '. I assume helium will be able to do this without requiring me to contact my IT department.
Last edited by dbldown768; 17th June 2014 at 02:19 PM.
17th June 2014, 04:00 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 662

2,264 posts
You have the new towel root now to do what you wanted in the first place.
17th June 2014, 07:44 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 1,088

2,879 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbldown768

Thanks for all the responses. I guess the only app I need to backup and be able to restore is 'good for enterprise '. I assume helium will be able to do this without requiring me to contact my IT department.

fair warning, good freaks out when you have root and will not let you access your email.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread