Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,302 Members 51,568 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Root without losing data

Tip us?

dbldown768
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Default Root without losing data

Never having rooted my phone before and on stock 4.4.3, is there any way to root without losing my data?

I saw a thread in this forum pointing to an app that allows you to lock and unlock the boot loader for after root to protect your device. Suggests that since it doesn't use fastboot your data stays in place.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

vin4yak
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1802

DONATE TO ME
Yes, there is an app by which you can lock/unlock the bootloader without losing any data but to use the app, you need root privileges.
The first time you unlock the bootloader via fastboot, you will loose all your data. It can't be helped. Once you're rooted, you can use this app to lock/unlock the bootloader or even reset the tamper flag as many times as you want to: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...1.bootunlocker

Since you're fully stock, you can use Helium to backup your apps and copy other contents like app data, media blah blah to the computer by copy pasting.
The Following User Says Thank You to vin4yak For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Lethargy
Old
Thanks Meter 655
Use Helium to backup app data, backup your internal storage to a computer, unlock bootloader, flash custom recovery, flash SuperSU, restore with Helium.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyphur
You ask us to understand your position. Well if you want to benefit from our experience and time then I think it is only fair that you understand our position.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lethargy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

spinninbsod
Old
Thanks Meter 51
Just plug it in to your computer and take off photos/videos of the device and then root it I rooted my nexus 5 10 minutes after I got it so I didn't have to worry about but sometimes you just don't have time to root a device or can't risk messing it up which it should never mess up if you follow directions

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to spinninbsod For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dbldown768
Old
(Last edited by dbldown768; 17th June 2014 at 01:19 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Thanks for all the responses. I guess the only app I need to backup and be able to restore is 'good for enterprise '. I assume helium will be able to do this without requiring me to contact my IT department.

meangreenie
Old
Thanks Meter 612
You have the new towel root now to do what you wanted in the first place.

Zepius
Old
Thanks Meter 1071
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbldown768 View Post
Thanks for all the responses. I guess the only app I need to backup and be able to restore is 'good for enterprise '. I assume helium will be able to do this without requiring me to contact my IT department.
fair warning, good freaks out when you have root and will not let you access your email.
Go back to stock on your nexus 5 using this guide: here

Tired of paying too much money for your phone plan? go prepaid!

Save money on refills for your prepaid plans: Use Callingmart

-Zep