Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,650 Members 39,080 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Rooted but hit the hotspot cap

Tip us?

hairy.areola
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Rooted but hit the hotspot cap

I was operating under the assumption that I'd be immune to the 2.5gb hotspot bandwidth cap if i were rooted and using FoxFi as my tethering method. Is there a way to use unlimited tether on TMO without paying the piper?

N5/Rooted/Clockwork Mod Recovery/Factory ROM

thecircuitbox
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Nope.

simms22
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 20758
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairy.areola View Post
I was operating under the assumption that I'd be immune to the 2.5gb hotspot bandwidth cap if i were rooted and using FoxFi as my tethering method. Is there a way to use unlimited tether on TMO without paying the piper?

N5/Rooted/Clockwork Mod Recovery/Factory ROM
all rooting does is give you superuser access, it doesnt give you any special powers. and no matter what you use to tether, the data still comes from your provider. your provider knows your device, and lets it access their network. when you access their network, they know everything that you are doing on it.
Google+ Profile
Twitter Simms22
DerKernel For Trinity kernels and more!
The Following User Says Thank You to simms22 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

akmsr
Old
Thanks Meter 28
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2512674&page=7
last post on this page.
nexus 5 stock 4.4.2
metropcs 60$ unlimited everything plan

korockinout13
Old
Thanks Meter 521

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by akmsr View Post
But this doesn't actually allow you to tether without the data being counted, does it? I thought it was a workaround for tethering not working at all, which I had to use in the past.
Nexus 5 16GB on T-Mobile: CM11 + TWRP || Nexus 7 2012 32GB: Stock 4.4 + Xposed + franco + TWRP
Nexus 4 (cracked & sold)|AT&T Samsung Galaxy SII i777 (sold)|AT&T Samsung Galaxy S Captivate i897 (sold)

All in One Guide for Samsung i897 Captivate, i9000 Galaxy S
Get extra space on Copy or Dropbox with a new account!

akmsr
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by korockinout13 View Post
But this doesn't actually allow you to tether without the data being counted, does it? I thought it was a workaround for tethering not working at all, which I had to use in the past.
the original post of this thread asked for a way to go past his data cap and my reply was for that. it will most probably let him go over 2.5G cap with the use of a user agent switcher.
for your question,But this doesn't actually allow you to tether without the data being counted, does it? yes and no.
yes because it lets you go past your cap
no because simms22 is right. anytime they want, they can look up your data use and crack down
read the thread i linked.
nexus 5 stock 4.4.2
metropcs 60$ unlimited everything plan