Enable Call Recording on Xperia Z2 and Z3

Call recording, while not legal in every part of the world, is quite handy in certain situations. … more

Google Play Store Payments Available in China

Google has taken a big step to make its services accessible globally. Since the introduction of … more

How to Set a Video as Your Boot Animation

If you wish to make your phone truly unique, you may want to consider adding a nice boot animation. … more

TWRP for Nexus 6 and 9 Available, Unofficial CM12 Alpha for HTC Explorer! – XDA TV

Team Win Recovery Project for the Nexus 6 and Nexus … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Rooting/getting data off phone with broken USB

OP signal15

8th May 2014, 06:38 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 2

41 posts
Through a series of unfortunate circumstances, I think I'm screwed. My USB port was intermittently making contact because it got salt in it from slushy winter water. I had some electrical contact cleaner that evaporated quickly, so I shot it up in the USB port. Big, stupid mistake. It didn't evaporate fast enough and it wicked up under the screen and messed up about half of it, wrecked the mic on the phone (probably from dissolving the plastic), and the USB port no longer works for data, only charging. Anyway, don't do what I did. It was a $400+ bad decision.

On top of it all, TWRP somehow is no longer on the phone, so I don't have any recovery at all, and the last android upgrade took away root and I never got around to restoring that.

So, I've got a phone with no USB, no root, and no recovery at all.

I used the Migrate function of Mybackup Pro to move the data to my new phone. It worked, but it doesn't get app data unless you have root on the source device. Titanium won't run w/o root. I can't use ADB because the USB port doesn't work. I did install an FTP server on the phone, but that doesn't really help me if I can't get a nandroid backup.

Any thoughts on how I would get my app data moved over? Only a couple of them are really important, the rest just involve re-entering username/passwords for online accounts.

It looks like you can do ADB over the network using WiFi ADB from the Play store, but it needs root, which I don't currently have. Additionally, since the phone has to be booted for this to work, I can't do fastboot to install a recovery over the network.

Is there a way to re-root w/o USB? Or install a recovery? Any ideas here?
8th May 2014, 07:56 AM   |  #2  
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 13,317

24,410 posts
More
To save a long drawn out response, I'll just say - it's not possible.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
8th May 2014, 08:05 AM   |  #3  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 2,439

4,224 posts
More
If you just want to transfer the app data, why don't you install helium and take a backup and then transfer the backup to your computer via wifi file transfer?

- Sent from an IceCold Hammerhead!
8th May 2014, 08:18 AM   |  #4  

24,410 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vin4yak

If you just want to transfer the app data, why don't you install helium and take a backup and then transfer the backup to your computer via wifi file transfer?

- Sent from an IceCold Hammerhead!

Doesn't helium require a USB connection?

http://www.clockworkmod.com/carbon

8th May 2014, 08:42 AM   |  #5  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 2,439

4,224 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU

Doesn't helium require a USB connection?

http://www.clockworkmod.com/carbon

I just installed Helium to check it out again and it didn't require me to authorize via usb connection.. It might be because I already have root access??
Removed Helium from Supersuser and it now forces me to connect to a computer.
So if the device is unrooted, it requires usb connection and if it's rooted, nothing pops up.
In that case, there's nothing the OP can do I guess.

He could however, backup the obb and data files from /Android/ folder via wifi transfer which will save him some bandwidth..
8th May 2014, 10:47 AM   |  #6  

24,410 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vin4yak

He could however, backup the obb and data files from /Android/ folder via wifi transfer which will save him some bandwidth..

good point.
8th May 2014, 07:26 PM   |  #7  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 2

41 posts
Yep, I already looked into helium. If you're not rooted, you need USB.

Looks like I have an old phone to take apart and try to repair now...

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread