XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Rooting Nexus 5

Tip us?

BirchBarlow
Old
Thanks Meter 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch55 View Post
@BirchBarlow, When you wrote WPS was obsolete, did you mean to write WEP? WPS is a protected access setup protocol which will work with WPA2 encryption which is supported and enabled out of the box on most recent model WiFi routers. I am not arguing you should use WPS. Since late 2011 it has been reported as vulnerable to brute force attacks. My recommendation, which I imagine you would agree with would be to set the router/access point with a WPA2/AES (as opposed to WEP or WPA or WPA2/TKIP) and manually enter the access key on the client.
WPS works in conjunction with WPA2 but it's still deprecated because of vulnerability to brute-force attacks. I don't know about other routers, but my current Verizon/Actiontec router doesn't WPS support and had WPA2 enabled by default. My old one had WPA enabled by default, but I don't remember if it supported WPS. Either way, I don't think the newest ones support WPS. Maybe yours is 1 to 2 years old? I do agree with you, no matter what kind of router you have, you should only use WPA2 for optimal security.

dutch55
Old
Thanks Meter 35
@BirchBarlow, I have a Netgear R6300 which is about 18 months old. The latest Netgear R7000 supports WPS as does the TrendNet 1750 featured in PC Mag's Nov '13 review. I won't shed a tear but it doesn't look dead yet.

Related, I often recommend WiFi Analyzer in the Play Store to help pick channels based on signal strength and neighboring interference.

XDA premium -> CleanROM > Samsung Note II I317
MeanBean>SGH-I317>AT&T

BirchBarlow
Old
Thanks Meter 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch55 View Post
@BirchBarlow, I have a Netgear R6300 which is about 18 months old. The latest Netgear R7000 supports WPS as does the TrendNet 1750 featured in PC Mag's Nov '13 review. I won't shed a tear but it doesn't look dead yet.

Related, I often recommend WiFi Analyzer in the Play Store to help pick channels based on signal strength and neighboring interference.

XDA premium -> CleanROM > Samsung Note II I317
Well I guess I stand corrected. The manufacturers must lag behind the industry standards. Regardless, they should all come out of the box WPA2 enabled by default. The average 40-watt bulb doesn't know or care about the difference between WPA, WPA2, WPS, AES, TKIP, etc, so logic dictates if it comes out of the box WPS-enabled, it's going to stay that way.

mohammadmoghimi
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchBarlow View Post
1. Chainfire's batch script unlocks the bootloader, thus wiping your phone's internal memory.
2. Why are you trying to connect using WPS? WPS is a deprecated encryption algorithm. Your router probably doesn't even have WPS, unless it's an older router. Your router most likely uses WPA2 encryption by default. You need to select WPA2 and enter the WPA2 key to connect.
It's actually a pretty recent at&t uverse router. It uses WPA(or 2) Personal. Still I cannot to it.

mohammadmoghimi
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj14 View Post
When you had initially set up your phone, did you set up auto-upload to google+ (or dropbox)? If so, you may have a backup there. If not, you are out of luck (you may want to consider setting up auto-upload to G+ or dropbox or copy or something similar going forward)
I used to do both of these before. Not with this phone though!

wantabe
Old
(Last edited by wantabe; 23rd December 2013 at 12:41 PM.)
Thanks Meter 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammadmoghimi View Post
It's actually a pretty recent at&t uverse router. It uses WPA(or 2) Personal. Still I cannot to it.
When you enter your encryption key do not forget that it is uppercase and lowercase sensitive, at least on every router I've ever used.
"Don't confuse me with facts, I've already made up my mind!"

AT&T HTC One X - 4.2.2 CleanROM-odexed/Xposed/ElementalX
Nexus 5 32GB
Nexus 7 32GB (2013)
Nexus 4 8GB-Moved to Better Home!
Nexus 7 16GB-Moved to Better Home!.
Nexus 7 32GB-Moved to Better Home!