Rooting question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Moonheart

Jun 18, 2012
Hey there!

I was wondering if rooting via towelroot would affect OTA updates? Someone told me you don't get OTA if the system files, bootloader or kernel have been changed. I am completely on stock now. Will apps like Droidwall, Titanium Backup or Greenify make any changes to the system files, hence rendering my phone not eligible for OTA?

Thanks

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Read the OTA helpdesk thread about OTA. Link in my signature. Those apps should be fine but you should root properly and use a custom recovery of you're going to be rooted and forget about OTAs.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Moonheart
D

Darth

@rootSU gave you the best info.

You have a Nexus. You can flash stock in minutes when you need to do an ota. Or forget that and flash the update through fastboot. I've never taken an OTA on any device. ;)

Moonheart

Jun 18, 2012
Thanks for the replies folks. I just dont feel like unlocking my bootloader at this very moment since there's stuff to backup and I am at the peak of my laziness ( and also very busy to do stuff with my phone)
Edit: Yeah, I sideloaded the 4.4.4 update. Can I sideload any update like this in the future even if I don't receive automatic updates? (i.e doesn't sideload verify that all original files are intact?)

Last edited:
D

Darth

Nice. You relax and we'll figure it out? That's not how XDA works my friend. Ask for help, put some effort in after you get answers. That's how it works.

I'd leave the phone as is and call it a day. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Read the OTA helpdesk thread about OTA. Link in my signature. Those apps should be fine but you should root properly and use a custom recovery of you're going to be rooted and forget about OTAs.

Probably best avoid root in that case then.