[Q] Schedulers

OP DamnItLukasz

3rd September 2014, 11:36 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Madrid
Thanks Meter: 4

13 posts
More
Hi and forgive my 'noobness' but do you guys think there's a significal difference in performance/battery if I use a different scheduler, because I googled a lot about the differences between all of them and I actually understand what all they do and their main advantages. Some people say that ROW feels quicker than deadline but Im not sure if its placebo. A guy in andrux-and-me(dot)blogspot(dot)com(dot)es/2014/05/io-schedulers-and-performance-2(dot)html compared/tested them so that's why I was wondering.
I always use the default scheduler in ElementalX (ROW I think) and never had any troubles but I also believe that Franco uses deadline so I was wondering what the experts here have to say.
Last edited by DamnItLukasz; 3rd September 2014 at 11:41 AM. Reason: typos
3rd September 2014, 12:49 PM   |  #2  
Flag Somewhere quiet.
Thanks Meter: 2,027

3,407 posts
More
Difference isn't too noticeable for most.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lethargy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th September 2014, 02:59 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 1

12 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamnItLukasz

Hi and forgive my 'noobness' but do you guys think there's a significal difference in performance/battery if I use a different scheduler, because I googled a lot about the differences between all of them and I actually understand what all they do and their main advantages. Some people say that ROW feels quicker than deadline but Im not sure if its placebo. A guy in andrux-and-me(dot)blogspot(dot)com(dot)es/2014/05/io-schedulers-and-performance-2(dot)html compared/tested them so that's why I was wondering.
I always use the default scheduler in ElementalX (ROW I think) and never had any troubles but I also believe that Franco uses deadline so I was wondering what the experts here have to say.

I've done benchmarks with some schedulers at different buffer sizes, and other users have done way more extensive testing.

it is heavily device dependent and benchmarking does not exactly reflect real-life usage.

your best bet is to find one that works for you.

my two most common are row and fiops at 512 or 1024 buffer.
4th September 2014, 04:36 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
BROOKLYN!
Thanks Meter: 21,842

26,233 posts
it all depends how personally you use your device. how you use it would show you which one to use. i use only deadline. it works perfectly for how i use my device.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread